Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a picture of my 1966 Python next to a sideplate I bought online. The plan was to use it on my othe 66' that is incredibly rough. My question is in regards to the location and difference between the two logo's. I looked at my 57' and it looks just like my 66', the replacement plate logo is high and back with a different mane, tail, posture, etc.

Gun Revolver Trigger Handgun holster Metal

Is this one newer than 66' or older than 57'?

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Kevin,I looked at my 86 stainless and the logo is in the same place as your 66.The logo on mine looks more like the one on your spare side plate.Don't know what that means but hope it helps you.I have seen the logo in other areas of the side plate than the two that you show.D*

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
... a sideplate I bought online. My question is in regards to the location and difference between the two logo's. the replacement plate logo is high and back with a different mane, tail, posture, etc.
Kevin -- the logo on the replacement sideplate caught my attention as well, both in placement and the pony itself.

After comparing the logo with a couple of my pythons like D.A.R.Y.L. did, I couldn't find much there either. But, after that, I went off grid and moved away from the python. Instead, I went to see what models composed the same frame as the python, the E/I models.

Colt I & E Frame
Colt Officers Model Match
Colt Official Police
Colt Python
Colt Trooper​

So, I took a took a look at Trooper's, 3 5 7's, and OP's. Could your replacement sideplate be one from an OP? Realize, I don't know parts that well, but the logo was farther back on the OP's. And I found an 1960's Official Police - Python poster that shows a little spring in the back legs of the logo as well as the shortened mane.
Colt Official Police/Python 1960's Original Poster : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Like I say, I'm way out of my comfort zone on this logic, but it may be a lead to what you have.

Text Nose Sketch Drawing Organism
Horse Jumping Stallion Drawing Horse racing

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,448 Posts
Usually the farther back stamps were for models that didn't use Target grips. The logo was usually moved forward on models that may have used Service or Target grips to insure the logo was partially covered by the larger Target grips.
This is why you'll often see models like the Official Police and Officer's Model Target with the Colt to the rear.
Models like the Python, Trooper, and 3-5-7 usually have the Colt forward because those models could be fitted with Service or Target grips.

As often discussed, the Colt pony has changed many times over the years from the "skinny" Colt to the "fat" Colt and back again.
These changes were the result of deliberate design change decisions by Colt, not an engravers variation.
Why Colt deliberately changed the Colt from time to time is unknown, but they had some reason for it.

As for the above side plate, Colt plates were hand fitted at Colt and polished with the frame to insure a near-perfect fit, and to insure it didn't sit higher or lower then the frame.
This means that replacement plates seldom fit well, and fitting is a tough job unless you've done it a bit.

Last, these days virtually ANY Colt medium frame part is going to be advertised as a Python part, even if it came off an Army Special.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.