Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next question for all you very knowledgeable Colt Collector's is this......

I have also come across a revolver that has the letter "C" around the rampant colt logo....Does anyone know what that signifies???

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
764 Posts
That is one of, if not the first design of the logo. This is found up to around 1910 I believe. I asked this question before on here and someone said they called it "Stylized C" or something to that effect.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I knew someone would be able to tell me!!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Bowhunter,

You Said:

"That is one of, if not the first design of the logo. This is found up to around 1910 I believe. I asked this question before on here and someone said they called it "Stylized C" or something to that effect."

The "Rampant Colt Horse" Logo first appeared on Colt guns in the later half of 1890. This is when you will first see them on the SAAs, Lightnings, and the Model 1889 DA New Navy revolvers. It was the horse with a circle around it.

This version continued until about 1908 or so when I have first observed the logo with the "stylized C" on the Army Special Model. The "Stylized C" does not appear on the New Army and Navy production guns and production ended on them in 1908.

I'm at our other home right now and don't have access to my New Service collection, so I can't check them to see what serial number has the change to the added "C" from the "Horse with the maltese cross'", but I'm pretty sure Colt changed the style of the logo to the added "C" about 1908 for their whole line of products. It ran for a number of years that way before changing to just the "horse"... Hope that helps.... Bob Best

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't taking SAAs into consideration. Hopefully the poster understood the jist of my reply.

Atleast I tried............

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Bowhunter,
There is no reason to be sorry about your reply... Everyone has information to give and no one has all of the answers to every question... I personally believe EVERYONE should learn something new every day! I certainly try to do just that...
The forum is about getting the best information available out to all the viewers. Everyone contributes pieces to getting that "best information" and we ALL learn things that way.

And, after reviewing my post, I noticed that I erred and put that " Colt changed their FULL LINE of guns to the "Stylized C" about 1908"... That is obviously not correct as the Logo on the SAAs and the semi auto pistols was not changed ... I can only say for sure without looking further that the logo was changed on the Army Special and New Service revolvers in 1908...

No one should hesitate to post information... it may be the one key piece needed to solve a mystery! Thanks for your answer to the question! Bob Best

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the information I have received. I definetely have learned a few good pointers, fact, etc. from this forum. Thanks again guys, your awesome.

·
Registered
764 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bowhunter,
There is no reason to be sorry about your reply... Everyone has information to give and no one has all of the answers to every question... I personally believe EVERYONE should learn something new every day! I certainly try to do just that...
The forum is about getting the best information available out to all the viewers. Everyone contributes pieces to getting that "best information" and we ALL learn things that way.

And, after reviewing my post, I noticed that I erred and put that " Colt changed their FULL LINE of guns to the "Stylized C" about 1908"... That is obviously not correct as the Logo on the SAAs and the semi auto pistols was not changed ... I can only say for sure without looking further that the logo was changed on the Army Special and New Service revolvers in 1908...

No one should hesitate to post information... it may be the one key piece needed to solve a mystery! Thanks for your answer to the question! Bob Best

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%

·
Registered
420 Posts
From my research, in 1882 on the SAA, the eagle design along with the Colt Logo was introduced on the black hard rubber grips. In 1896 the "Eagle grips were discontinued, oval Colt become standard."

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Bisley06,
I think you are correct about the grips changing from wood to the hard rubber eagle pattern in 1882...I don't have my research material with me so can't verify the 1896 cutoff date for the eagles, but that seems a little late if my memory serves me correctly (which it hasn't seemed to do lately! :)...)

The Colt Horse logo (stylized C) that Bucyres73 was talking about was the one stamped on the left side of the frame on the revolvers. Colt first stamped the circled horse on the frames of the DA and SA guns in late 1890. Bob Best

1 - 12 of 12 Posts