Colt Forum banner

Rampant Colt Logo

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  asa 
#1 ·
I'm a bit confused, and feel a little stupid for having to ask and I'm sure I will not use the correct terminology but here goes: "Why on some revolvers does the Colt have a "baton" (if you will) in his mouth and under his leg, and then on others it does not? If anyone can answer I would appreciate it.

#2 ·
Those are spears.

It has something to do with the Colt Coat of Arms, something about the Colt pony defending a fallen warrior.

As far as I know the spears have been present since Sam Colt died.

On some firearms, the stamp is either worn or not stamped deeply enough and it LOOKS like there are no spears.
They're there, just not legible.

#4 ·
The Rampant Colt logo is a modified version from the original coat of arms for the "Colte" family, Sam's ancestors, back in early England. The "spears" are actually one "broken lance", in two pieces. The pointed half in the colt's mouth, with the remaining half on its forelegs, and represents knightly service and valor on the battlefield.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the information guys. I have wondered about that for awhile, and asked a few people, but nobody seemed to know the answer. Now I can tell them what I have learned. Thanks again, Julie /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

#12 ·
Re: Four Spears

[ QUOTE ]
It appears to me to be a double strike since the Match Target shows the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this add to the value of this gun???

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#14 ·
Re: Four Spears

Not only are the spears and the "Colt" double-struck, so are the words "Match Target". Be interesting to see if the other printing/engraving is also double-struck. This is also a nice example of a 2nd generation Match Target (my particular passion). -Asa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.