Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What determines the placement of the Colt pony stamp on the frame. I have a 1965 Detective special and just saw a picture of a 1967 and the placement is different between the two.

Attachments

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
Sometimes the location was moved for guns that had Target grips so the grips wouldn't cover the Pony.

Most of the time Colt located or moved the Pony for no known rhyme or reason.
About all you can say is that the Pony was almost always somewhere on the side plate.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting and thanks dfariswheel

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
Oh, I'm sure there was a reason for the moves but who knows why.

I once talked to a man who told me about going to his Fortune 500 company home offices to talk about packaging of products.
They were going to put basically a "New and Improved" sticker on the package.
According to him there was only one place on the box they could put a sticker.
He told me that they sat in a conference room for two days arguing about where to put the sticker, then decided that it should go in the only place they could put it.

I'd assume that when Colt was a part of a huge corporation, they had similar extended meetings to argue about moving the Pony around for some reason no one could remember the next month.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My sincere apologies to the "Rampant Colt Stallion". I have been educated and Rampant Colt Stallion it is.

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
The Rampant Colt on the Model 1911 and Government Model has three major variations. The early pistols had a circled Rampant Colt on the left side behind the slide serrations. The circle was removed but the Rampant Colt stayed in the same place. Then the Rampant Colt was moved forward between the patent dates and Colt logo.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
While the "Rampant Colt" is indeed a stallion, the official name for that stallion is "Rampant Colt," not "Rampant Colt Stallion."

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This "newbie" will get it right sooner or later. "Rampant Colt" it is!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JudgeColt and MtnSpur, I have changed my avatar to help keep me inline

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The Rampant Colt roll mark has changed several times over the years. My favorite is the stylized C type, from 1909 to 1913. That's always a good one for wrong terminology as some will call it the football or eyeball style.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
It seems the Rampant Colt has evolved somewhat over time.
There have been a number of different Rampant Colt stampings in the history of the company. A1A (The Searcher) who is a forum member could find all the threads for you but he's on a hiatus at the present time. My searching skills are minimal at best but here's a thread with some different types of stampings and positions, Hope this helps.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/13905-position-rampant-colt-trademark.html

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
JudgeColt and MtnSpur, I have changed my avatar to help keep me inline
You were never out of line, just misinformed and certainly not the first to call the logo a name it isn't. My wife is a quilter and she made a Colt quilt for me using the Colt logo and Rampant Colt as a center block, she named the quilt "Rampant Stallion" to differentiate it from a Colt product though we did get written permission to use the logos as it will be displayed in some quilt shows vying for awards. My avatar is the center of the quilt.

Here's the thread about the quilt that includes photographs:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/58544-only-one-s-kind-preview-sneak-peek-added-pics.html

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Here is two OMM's . Notice the pony in different location on the sideplate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts