Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bushwacker answered my question RE: barrel markings. I have one more question. Does anyone know when Colt started marking the rear of cylinders with the Rampant-Colt trademark.
I have a Colt SAA .45 Cal. that was rebuilt. New barrel, cylinder and refinished. I am trying to figure the apx. timeframe of this work. Barrel markings indicate 1947 to 1955.
Trying to see if cylinder can add anything to this.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeWill421:
Bushwacker answered my question RE: barrel markings. I have one more question. Does anyone know when Colt started marking the rear of cylinders with the Rampant-Colt trademark.
I have a Colt SAA .45 Cal. that was rebuilt. New barrel, cylinder and refinished. I am trying to figure the apx. timeframe of this work. Barrel markings indicate 1947 to 1955.
Trying to see if cylinder can add anything to this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi...
According to two different Colt single action books I have, one by Cochran and one by Wilkerson, the Rampant Colt on the back of the cylinder was the marking used by Colt to designate a cylinder made after the end of World War II. The single action was out of production between 1945 and 1955 with only the Postwar/Prewar models being assembled from parts left over at the factory. During this period the prewar cylinder were used up and new cylinders began to be made and were stamped with the Rampant Colt horse. They were fitted to some the postwar guns and sold to dealers to convert SAAs to either 38 spl or 45 Colt ... Also, have you checked your gun for a work order number? It would appear on the frame under the trigger guard and would indicate the Colt Factory did the work. If there is one, I think you MAY be able to letter it from Colt... Not all of the "back to the factory" invoices are in their system, but its possible they MIGHT have it... If Colt didn't do the work, it is just a guess as to when it may have been done... I've had pre-war Colts with those parts that were converted in the 1970s... Hope that helps! Bob Best

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob, In order to see the "work order number" would I have to remove the trigger guard. There are no other numbers, other than the serial number, in the area of the trigger guard.
I might add that this gun contains a nice blue finish but the frame is also blued, no case colors. Would the Colt factory blue the frame over the case color ??
Thank's, Joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Bob, just re-read your reply and realized that you said the "work order number" would appear on "the frame" under trigger guard, so I would have to remove trigger guard to check.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Bob, just re-read your reply and realized that you said the "work order number" would appear on "the frame" under trigger guard, so I would have to remove trigger guard to check.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeWill421:
Sorry Bob, just re-read your reply and realized that you said the "work order number" would appear on "the frame" under trigger guard, so I would have to remove trigger guard to check.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi...
About the re-blue... Colt could have done it but I doubt it... Colt would generally do whatever the customer asked, but if it wasn't specified, MOST LIKELY Colt would case the frame... My guess anyway... Bob Best

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading your reply I did remove the trigger guard to see if a work order number existed. All I found was three numbers located on either side of the front screw hole. There was a 5 to the left of the hole and 02 on the right. As these numbers were the same type as those in serial number I suspect these are just part numbers and not work order numbers. I guess it could indicate a date (5/02) but I doubt it.
I am leaning toward this gun being rebuilt later than 47 to 55 by someone other than Colt. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts