Colt Forum banner

Rancher/collector shoots "Flat Side" Winchester 1895s

543 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Stix 
#1 ·
I like these new videos by this Oregon rancher. He's obviously a big Winchester collector and likes to shoot his old stuff. Check out his other ones where he shoots Colt Lightning rifles. He reloads and in the intro you can see Mike Venturino's great book "Shooting Lever Actions" on his reloading bench. He doesn't talk ammo but a lot of Winchester history here.

#2 ·
The TV show, "The Last Alaskans", about the last people living in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge featured one family that the father Ray Lewis still carried a Winchester 1895 in .35 Winchester. It was worn slick as a silver dollar, but still worked for him.

When the area was declared a wildlife refuge the people that were still living there as well as their direct descendants could remain there, but when they left or died there would be no more people allowed to settle there.

#3 ·
My 1895 Winchester is in 35WCF. The stock has been refinished and doesn't match the age of the metal but it was also cheap. From what I've read, the 35WCF was designed to fit fit nicely between the .405 and the 30-40 cartridges. It may not be "big medicine" but it is definitely "medicine" with 250 grain bullets.
Buffalo Arms has ammo in both 35WCF cases and in necked up 30-40 Krag cases. The Krag cases about .1" shorter but work fine. Redding also still carries dies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.