Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While fighting off the sting of a desert wood scorpion, to the back of my noggin no less (seems I forgot to wear my ballcap), I still made it to a gun show saturday. Mind you I didn't realize I'd been popped by one but rooting around in the well house or barn, one comes into contact with these buggers and a lot of folks don't realize they love to climb (bad scorpion, bad, bad). Anyhooos..I'm helping a good friend get some information on a European double shotgun of which I know nothing. Damascus barreled, ornate scenes in silver with gold inlay and exposed ornate hammers it truly was a beauty. Finding the appropriate folks I know and having them inspect and oogle and ahhh over the piece I give the contact information to the interested parties and my work is done and I can begin looking around.

Hey I find a M1903 .32 made in 1917 and while the bluing has all but disappeared the patina just set it off nicely, original mag and slide and the function is smooth and I'm thinking "I just got into these Colt semi's do I really want another M1903?" Well of course I did:

1917 M1903 .32 semi 3 (1024x768).jpg
I'm feverish and getting ready to leave and the wife says "Hey Babe, here's a couple Vest Pockets like the one you got a while ago". Ok so I'm looking and the 1923 isn't in bad shape and the price is a little high but the deal breaker is an aftermarket mag. I point this out to the gentleman and he says "oh how can you tell?" After a quick yada yada and gee that's a nice little pistol but without the original mag I'm not interested. You'd of thought I slapped him. Down a table is the other M1908. Obviously refinished though nicely done except the Rampant Stallion on the slide was all but buffed away, mere hint of her left. Original mag (oh yeah) and the Colt holster for that model. The gentleman and I start discussing...Me: "shame it's refinished" Him: "Oh really I thought it was original", Me: "See this, and this and I bet if we remove the stock panels we'll see more", Him: "so you're not interested?" Me: Not at that price for a refinish", Him: " well, what would you say it was worth?" Me: " $xxx max, it's been redone, darn shame". I start walking away, still not feeling like staying, turn around and reach into my pocket and say " I've got $ here, I'll take it for this price with the holster". Him: "Well, I guess we can do that". I really didn't need it...but it's a 1909 and what the heck, I blame it all on the scorpion sting.

1909 M1908 Vest Pocket .25 semi2 (1024x768).jpg Vest pocket and Holster 1 (1024x768).jpg

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't think the scorpion had anything to do with it. You were stung by "I can't pass up a cool little Coltitis" awhile ago...:)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Nice,the only thing purtier than the little 1909 is a scorpion.:)D*

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I wonder if you could buy or reload some little shotshells for that with maybe some #9's and shoot scorpions with it.
I remember checking the sleeping bag before getting in it when camping in West Texas. Reminds me of all the nasty critters I ran into in Texas- like tarantulas,fireants,diamondback rattlers,,cottonmouth water moccasins,black widows,even a coral snake once when cutting firewood.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Very nice on both pistolas !!! The holster is the icing on the cake. I've got the same holster, but in black. My Uncle use to carry it from time to time. they are nicely made and really hold on to that little bugger!!

Reactions: MtnSpur

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Nice. Pairs of Colts, as in saddle horses, are certainly appropriate and needed.

Pairs of scorpions are not. Nothing like pulling on a boot before daylight and getting a "wakeup" from one on the bottom of your foot..:eek:

rayb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts