Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for ideas on what would be your choice for a range gun in .357. I would like to eventually put a red dot scope on it and I am thinking a 6" barrel without a full underlug. I would prefer stainless or nickel but that's not a necessity.

I would like to definitely keep it under $1500 for the gun so a Python is out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go buy a new S&W 686, They have the frame lock to help set off the new Red Dot scope...:rolleyes:
Not every Colt has to go into a holster.

Possibly a King Cobra 6 inch before they raise even more?
I like the King Cobra but I'm not sure if the full underlug on a 6" barrel will make it too front heavy. Pretty sure all the King Cobra's are full under lugged.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am looking for ideas on what would be your choice for a range gun in .357. I would like to eventually put a red dot scope on it and I am thinking a 6" barrel without a full underlug. I would prefer stainless or nickel but that's not a necessity.
6" Trooper MKV sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Available in blue, bright nickel, and e-nickel. Partial barrel under lug. Full vented rib barrel will allow you to put the B-square top deck rail mount on it when you want to mount the red dot on it without damaging the finish or hurting the value. The prices have been rising but you should have no problem picking one (or probably two) up under your $1500 limit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6" Trooper MKV sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Available in blue, bright nickel, and e-nickel. Partial barrel under lug. Full vented rib barrel will allow you to put the B-square top deck rail mount on it when you want to mount the red dot on it without damaging the finish or hurting the value. The prices have been rising but you should have no problem picking one (or probably two) up under your $1500 limit.
That's what I am thinking right now. There are tons more of them for sale also. Thanks for the info on the top deck rail mount!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does it have to be a Colt? If not, then you can pick up a Taurus model 669. Target grade, sweet finish, and below $500.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some good suggestions, thanks guys. I would prefer a Colt at this time.

Can anyone tell me a little about the Peacekeeper? Other than not being SS it looks like everything I am looking for.

I think the Trooper is the winner so far.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'd go for the 1950s/1960s Colt Trooper or a Colt 3 5 7 over the later Colt .357 Magnum models but that's because I admire the design of their actions. I'm working on obtaining an early 3 5 7 from a fellow and hope to have it gathered in by year-end. I think I'd actually enjoy shooting it more than I do the Python.

My favorite .357 Magnum for shooting use is a 6-inch Smith & Wesson Model 27. I enjoy its size and balance. The 6-inch models are very common and least expensive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd go for the 1950s/1960s Colt Trooper or a Colt 3 5 7 over the later Colt .357 Magnum models but that's because I admire the design of their actions. I'm working on obtaining an early 3 5 7 from a fellow and hope to have it gathered in by year-end. I think I'd actually enjoy shooting it more than I do the Python.
Similar to this one? Colt Trooper 357 Revolver : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

My favorite .357 Magnum for shooting use is a 6-inch Smith & Wesson Model 27. I enjoy its size and balance. The 6-inch models are very common and least expensive.
Is the Model 27 based on their K frame or is that their N?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Hi 1s1K;

Yep, that's the model Trooper, made right in the middle of the era of which I personally admire. The stocks on that one appear to be non-original and while its metal surfaces appear both original and pretty nice, the $825 that is listed as "reserve not met" is too high. The "100% except for..." descriptive phrase is amusing. There's no such thing.

Others may be along shortly to confirm this or set me straight but the Trooper of 1959 would have been wearing stocks with checkering fully covering the sides, including the area around the medallions. The change over to the style checkering to that as appears on the revolver in the photo occurred a year or two later. I may be off base here as well but there's something about those stocks that doesn't look entirely correct. They may have been refinished or they may be reproductions.

I may be behind times but I would really enjoy owning that particular revolver for a couple hundred less. I like those Troopers immensely. The 6-inch barrel wrings a lot of performance out of the .357 Magnum cartridge. The 4-inch Troopers are so nice too and would ride pretty in a belt holster for hiking. The .357 Magnum is still a fearsome thing fired through a 4-inch tube. For a range gun though I'd probably enjoy the 6-inch most. I'd take either though if I could sneak up on one at the right price.

Here's an example of the style of stocks that I think that Trooper in the auction ought to be wearing. These are shown on a Colt Officer's Model Match from 1957 but this same style appeared on Troopers of the era.

The Smith & Wesson Model 27 was built on their "N" frame. It is a somewhat larger revolver than the Trooper, which in turn is somewhat larger than the Smith & Wesson K-Frame revolver. I really like the big ol' Model 27 as it soaks up recoil well and handles any reasonable full-powered handload. The Trooper would too though and would remain pleasant to fire with .357 Magnum ammunition. The K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers are more snappy with .357 Magnum ammunition. I've owned only 2 1/2-inch and 4-inch K-Frame Models 66 and 19. I've fired a 6-inch Model 19 with full-powered ammunition only on a single occasion and don't recall much about how it behaved. We were informally shooting at turtles, cow pies, and dirt clods on a tank dam and the fellow I was with had a 6-inch Model 19 that I tried out.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Can anyone tell me a little about the Peacekeeper? Other than not being SS it looks like everything I am looking for.
The Peacekeeper is the mark V action like the King Cobra. It has a matte finish. looks kinda like this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts