Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the arctic conditions, I went to an indoor range yesterday and did some shooting with my new PPS that I got Christmas Eve. I sent a target down to the 10 yard line and shooting from a sandbag rest, single action, I shot 5 rounds of Black Hills .38 Special 148 gr. wadcutters. Point of aim was 6 o'clock of the orange center dot and my group was below the dot and measured 1.86". Next, I did the same drill using Black Hills 158 gr. SWC cartridges; 4 shots were in the X-ring and one on the 10-ring line. The group without the flyer would have been 1.47", with the flyer it was 2.11". Five rounds of American Eagle (Federal) 158 gr. RNL cartridges was next and I had a 1.77" group just below the dot, all in the X-ring. Lastly, I sent a bulls-eye target to the 7 yard line and using a modified Weaver stance, fired 6 Black Hills 158 gr. SWC cartridges double action - the group was a scant 0.95". As an old police PPC competitor, I've always been able to shoot a DA revolver as well or better in the DA mode as in the SA mode. To say I was pleased with my nearly 100 year old PPS would be an understatement! Now to get a nice holster for it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great looking PPS Bill !! And darn good shooting too !
Thanks Cigarlvr313! The smaller orange target is the one that I shot at double-action.
Bill

·
Registered
344 Posts
Great shooting, Bill.

I took my 1920 Police Positive .32 to the indoor range last week, with similar results, I was shooting Berry's plated wadcutters and 2.2 grains of Red Dot loaded in .32 Long cases. The gun shoots better than I do.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Colt really knew what they were doing in those days. Does it have a "T" above the serial number?
Twaits, Colt did a fine job back then. That action was very smooth; especially after I cleaned out the gummed-up **** on the inside. There's no T in the serial number, just 139000.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Nice shootin'!

Nice old Colt!!

I have to say, my own PPS and PP are also very accurate little Revolvers, shooting perfectly to 'POA', and I have been very favorably impressed with them in every way.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Good fun. A lot of old Colts (my .32-20 Police Pos for one) shoot very low. You got lucky and got one that probably shoots right on. But only shooting it out at 25 yards would confirm that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bad guys look out! Great shooting from a great six-gun and great guy! You really made that old PPS sing and dance LaVistaBill! I think your early years with the PPS (Housing Police) laid the ground work for your great 1994 article in Combat Handguns on the PP MKV of that time period. Now here you are with this pre-war PPS treasure, knocking the bull out of the bullseye! Good shooting, from an old lawman, I'm privileged to know!
David

·
Registered
69 Posts
twaits, Just out of curiosity What does that "T" above the serial number mean? I have an old police positive transition model made in 1908 chambered in 38 Colt New Police and it has a T above the serial number. My Police Positive Special from 1923 is not marked with the T. I always assumed it was an inspectors mark. However, both of them have the number 3 marked behind the trigger guard on the side. Left side of the gun Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
LaVistaBill,

Very nice Police Positive Special! I have one from 1923 and it shoots great. I have never fired anything but Remington or Winchester factory loaded 158 grain lead round nose rounds through it. I might take mine out and try some 148 grain wad cutters and see how it shoots. I found 3 full boxes of winchester wad cutters that I forgot I had. Overall mine is probably in the same condition as yours. How are the grips on yours? I was lucky to get mine with the original grips marked with the serial number without cracks or gouges which many of these grips suffer from. Back then there was such a thing called "QUALITY CONTROL" compared to what is being made today. Lots of luck with your new Police Positive !

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bad guys look out! Great shooting from a great six-gun and great guy! You really made that old PPS sing and dance LaVistaBill! I think your early years with the PPS (Housing Police) laid the ground work for your great 1994 article in Combat Handguns on the PP MKV of that time period. Now here you are with this pre-war PPS treasure, knocking the bull out of the bullseye! Good shooting, from an old lawman, I'm privileged to know!
David
David, as usual thanks for the kind words. I noted in the photos of the PPS on Gun Broker that it appeared the front sight was not quite right for a PPS of this vintage. I was correct, somebody had the rear of the half-moon blade cut off and expertly serrated for a better sight picture. I figure that whoever did this was NOT a casual shooter, but was concerned with marksmanship. Makes me want to letter this gun to see if that could lead to something interesting. I bought this gun with an ulterior motive in mind, I'm hoping to entice my editors into letting me do a piece about the era when revolvers (especially .38 Special revolvers) ruled in law enforcement. We'll see what happens. I'm now gearing up to head to LasVegas next Sunday for the SHOT Show. I will be covering service-size handguns for Guns, Firearms, Weapons, Rifles, Law Enforcement News, Reviews & Magazines. Take care and watch your "six!"

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LaVistaBill,

Very nice Police Positive Special! I have one from 1923 and it shoots great. I have never fired anything but Remington or Winchester factory loaded 158 grain lead round nose rounds through it. I might take mine out and try some 148 grain wad cutters and see how it shoots. I found 3 full boxes of winchester wad cutters that I forgot I had. Overall mine is probably in the same condition as yours. How are the grips on yours? I was lucky to get mine with the original grips marked with the serial number without cracks or gouges which many of these grips suffer from. Back then there was such a thing called "QUALITY CONTROL" compared to what is being made today. Lots of luck with your new Police Positive !
Shooter91,
Like your PPS, my revolvers grips serial number to the gun and are in very good condition, with a few tiny nicks around the edge of the butt. I wanted to try a number of lead bullet .38 Special loads, mostly in the 158 gr. weight, but was curious to see how 148 gr. mid-range wadcutters would do too...not bad as it turns out. I did fire one round of scarce Western Super-X .38 Special High Velocity cartridges that have a 150 gr. RNL Lubaloy coated bullet. The shot stuck at 7 o'clock of the orange aiming dot, about 1/2" low, so I was happy. All six chambers are filled with this ammo for social purposes, as I don't plan to shoot any modern +P JHP stuff in an almost 100 year old six-gun.
Bill

·
Registered
107 Posts
twaits, Just out of curiosity What does that "T" above the serial number mean? I have an old police positive transition model made in 1908 chambered in 38 Colt New Police and it has a T above the serial number. My Police Positive Special from 1923 is not marked with the T. I always assumed it was an inspectors mark. However, both of them have the number 3 marked behind the trigger guard on the side. Left side of the gun Any ideas? Thanks!
I have read that "T" means targeted. And "L" means lined up. I have an Official Police that has the "T". It is marked N.O.P.D. No. 572 (New Orleans Police Department) on the butt. It shoots right where I aim it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.