Colt Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my vintage '61 Python with the 4" barrel to the range today with a box of 38 special 158gr. FMJ and a box of 38 +P 125gr. FMJs. First 5 round group shot SA at 7 yds was about 1.5" with a flyer opening up the group to 3.5". Next group was about the same and then the next two targets shot at had 3 and 4 shot overlaying clusters into 3/4" with 1 or 2 flyers opening up the groups to no more than 1 7/8". After that, I shot all double action at 10 and 12 yards (indoor range, poor lighting conditions) and consistently got those tight 3 and 4 shot clusters and a nearby flyer. That flyer is my fault, my eyes aren't worth a damn to begin with and I'm probably in need of bifocals. I will say that I can shoot outdoors MUCH better with my other guns than I can indoors with them. This Python is an old tack driver plain and simple. The finish is pretty beat up due to holster wear but the cylinder just snaps and clicks shut like it was made outta glass, the action, a nice duty type weight in DA, also feels glassy and smooth. The timing really, it's perfect unless I really slow cock with a 3 count for each pull, and then one notch just barely doesn't lock into place. SA cocking at a reasonable 1.5 - 2 second pull everything locks up fine. No endshake. Will have Colt check for possible lightish firing pin strikes and cylinder hand wear when I send it in to be refinished. I don't want an *action job* though, I wan't it to shoot just about exactly as smooth as it does now. Great shooter for $480 plus tax!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts