Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I have mentioned before, my 94 DS shoots about 2 inches high at 30 feet with our dept ammo...both the 125 grain winclean and the 135 grain Speer +p. A friend of mine who doesn't shoot his 38 anymore brought me a couple boxes of Remington 125 +p dated 1977 (back when the LASD carried revolvers). I tried it in my DS and low and behold, it shot to point of aim. The ammo is in great shape and there were no misfires in 40 rounds (I don't want to put any more +ps through it).... so I guess there is no worry about carrying it in my DS...:)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
That ol' Remington 125 gr. load is a loser. It's a great ol' bullet in the 357 Mag. with a 4" tube at 1350 fps or better, but those never opened up worth a damn in a snubbie .38 Spcl.

2" high is nothing within 15 yds. After all, you aren't going to be making hostage head shots at 50 yds. with it. The Speer 135 gr. +p is a proven MODERN winner that works far better than it ought to. I'd stay with it.

Reactions: Zeke38

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
That ol' Remington 125 gr. load is a loser. It's a great ol' bullet in the 357 Mag. with a 4" tube at 1350 fps or better, but those never opened up worth a damn in a snubbie .38 Spcl.

2" high is nothing within 15 yds. After all, you aren't going to be making hostage head shots at 50 yds. with it. The Speer 135 gr. +p is a proven MODERN winner that works far better than it ought to. I'd stay with it.
I disagree with you on the Remington Load. Standard Issue for LASD 1966 through 1976 was the Remington 125 Gr. Core-lokt Bullet.

Thomas Noguchi, Former LA County Coroner, stated in More than one Coroner's Inquest, that I was present at, that particular bullet was "devastating on the Human Body".

I can attest to those findings personally.

I don't care for the +P's, and "THEY WERE NOT ISSUED to the Deputies prior to 1977. Neither were the .357 Magnums that were carried by some of us for our Pythons, S&W models 19's, 27's, 28's and others. AND You didn't want to get caught at inspection with them either.:rolleyes:

The downside came from lead deformity if you carried them in your pouch to long. Back in the old days we qualified every month, so disposing of old ammo and recycling new was never a problem....Now Days ?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Kid, those were probably out of a 4" Service revolver. Technology marches on. Today's bullets have been tested in manners undreamed of 30 yrs. prior. Snubbies require a different approach than a 4" Service Revolver. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
No Doubt Boge...BUT many of us behind the desk as Watch Deputies, Watch Sergeants Etc, carried 2" Revolvers. My 6" 19 was a pain inside as A Watch Sergeant. Gosh I wish it was only 30 years ago....LOL...:eek:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last question? If this ammo shoots to poa, then it must be a bit hotter/faster than my speer 135. Are the new Remington 125 +p's like the golden Saber loaded like the +p's of the 70s. I wouldn't mind getting new ammo for a carry gun that shoots to poa....:)

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
BTW Kid...why don't you like the +p version?
I just haven't found a need for +P ammo in anything intended for a target consisting mostly of water. I want a bullet to shut down inside, not pass through. I also don't intend on shooting at vehicles, where as on the street in uniform that need may have risen...BUT that was what the Armor Piercing was for.

I think we must gauge our environment coupled with target selection. In the dead of winter, maybe in Fargo North Dakota, I may be required to penetrate several layers. But those are rare circumstances.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I accidently (well not really) shot a coyote that was about 12-15 yards from the corner of the house, and I was downwind. Had no time to consider going inside and retrieving a "proper" tool for the job so used a .38 low recoil 110 gr JHP Hydra-Shok that happened to be in my Airweight S&W (sorry folks it twernt a Colt I was carrying as I didn't own a DS at the time) and that critter went down like a rock and nary a twitch. Needless to say the mess was substantial. I don't shoot +P out of anything. It was an extremely lucky shot, IMHO, and I don't know if I could replicate it considering I'm Kid's age ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info all around. I don't feel the need for +p's either (but our dept. issue is the +p gold dot 135)..but if they shoot to poa, then I'd rather carry them...I know a couple inches high doesn't matter at snub ranges, I jut feel better knowing the gun shoots where I aim it...:)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I am carrying Buffalo Bore .38 Special 158gr Lead SWC HP (it's a gas check bullet) non +P. Buffalo Bore says it's doing 850fps. I got 876fps from a 2" DS. I like it & it at least equals the old FBI load. I think Massad said his first choice is the 135gr Gold Dot & second is the old FBI load.
Frank

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Good info all around. I don't feel the need for +p's either (but our dept. issue is the +p gold dot 135)..but if they shoot to poa, then I'd rather carry them...I know a couple inches high doesn't matter at snub ranges, I jut feel better knowing the gun shoots where I aim it...:)
That's a good looking DS.I have one like it that shot high with heavier bullets. I tried different loads with 125 grain bullets and found that 125 grain Hornady HPXTP's with anywhere from 4.6 to 5.0 grains of bullseye shoot right where I want them.
I also prefer a heavier bullet but I more prefer hitting what Im aiming at,so I reload the 125 grain bullets. If I miss, I blame myself not the gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts