Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Rant]There are no new Colt 1911's & few nice used Colt revolvers around here[/Rant]

Ya'll bear with me while I complain. :D

I have some gun cash. I have searched and searched. I've found a few interesting Colt revolvers that sounded good via email and the phone. Then I go look at 'em. :rolleyes: They forgot to mention that the stocks are not correct, the original stock is damaged, or there is some major flaking on the nickel revolver. One was missing a few parts. Another one looked like an army tank ran over it in a swamp.

One guy said he had a 90%-95% Detective Special and a Police Positive Special (no box). The only problem was that both revolvers had been (poorly) re-blued. When did this qualify as 90%? :bang_wall:

And no LGS around here has any new inventory of new full size 1911's, and if they have an older 5" barrel Colt 1911; it's priced more than a bag of pure gold. ;)

Sorry, I feel better now after my rant.

·
Registered
478 Posts
They comes and they goes around here. I find they tend to be scarce when the kitty is built up, and common when I'm less flush.

My current frustration is that most local non-retail sellers tend to believe that their average condition guns are ANIB or "98%" and they use GB asking prices to set their prices. I guess that's fine if they're willing to dicker a little, but quite a few get insulted if you ask them to come down a bit on their price. I tend to walk away from an awful lot of sales because of that - I don't see any reason to pay 100% prices for a nice shooter.

On the other hand, when I do come across a reasonably priced nice gun, I often just pay the asking price without trying to knock them down further. I've surprised a few sellers that way, but I don't really see any reason to beat someone up on price if the gun is well priced to start with.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Ya'll bear with me while I complain. :D

I have some gun cash. I have searched and searched. I've found a few interesting Colt revolvers that sounded good via email and the phone. Then I go look at 'em. :rolleyes: They forgot to mention that the stocks are not correct, the original stock is damaged, or there is some major flaking on the nickel revolver. One was missing a few parts. Another one looked like an army tank ran over it in a swamp.

One guy said he had a 90%-95% Detective Special and a Police Positive Special (no box). The only problem was that both revolvers had been (poorly) re-blued. When did this qualify as 90%? :bang_wall:

And no LGS around here has any new inventory of new full size 1911's, and if they have an older 5" barrel Colt 1911; it's priced more than a bag of pure gold. ;)

Sorry, I feel better now after my rant.
You have to get out of you backyard and your comfort zone if you want to obtain Good Colts. You may find one here and there but you must beat the bushes 24/7 and travel far and wide if you want to be successful. All the money in the world will not do you any good if you cannot find the goods. I spent over 30k last year just looking for nice guns,gas food hotels tires airfare etc. Before you want to rant too loud, get serious about your hunt. Then rant.

John

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I have learned if you want something bad enough it takes alot of time and patience to get what you want.All my guns are shooters and the used gun market here in the outskirts of the Kingdom Of New York City is slim pickings so my Nickel Version 2 1971 Detective Special and 1960 Cobra were found online and with a bit of luck were in nice shape @ a good price.I would still be looking if I kept my quest to my specific area.You want something new,NO Problem,want DA Colt Revolvers BIG PROBLEM.Finding a Shooter Grade Python is the equivelent of finding a Unicorn around here.....LOL....Mike

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I don't wish to sound naive because, brother, I feel your pain. But do you have a Gunbroker account? If so, the whole United States is at your doorstep selling our little treasures. We have some of the finest folks who sell them, right here in our midst; one of them even responded to this post. :cool:

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
First to John: He's not a "gun dealer/buyer/seller" he's a regular guy trying to find a decent Colt at a fair price so your "fix", which is normal for you, probably isn't the answer for him.

Second to Colt-SL: GB is the answer if one wishes to reach around the corner, no doubt :)

Lastly to Vintage Racer: Colts can be had of every make and model but they won't fall into your lap. Run WTB on this forum or any forum for that matter, Utilize GB and Auction Arms, etc. Most Facebook communities even have private "groups" that you can join that deal in outdoors stuff inclusive of guns. The key to finding what you want is patience and diligence.

My .10 worth :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What revolver(s) do you want to buy?
Something that has value for the money and really knocks my socks off. :D

I like the DS (in a .38 Special). It could be a 1st issue or a second issue. An Officer's Target (1st issue) would work.

You have to get out of you backyard and your comfort zone if you want to obtain Good Colts.
John,
I am an old anal accountant. I have to include travel expenses to the cost of the gun. :(

It's just not as easy as it once was to find an old Colt.

But do you have a Gunbroker account?
Yes, I never see a fair deal here.
:confused:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I know your not a gundealer/buyer/seller, I am just stressing you have to dig deep to find gold. I see you have hit a few local shops without any luck, and I feel your pain. Its unreal what you have to do these days to get good quality Colts. You have to pay large and travel. If I were an individual looking for a good Colt, I would go on the internet find a reputable dealer and pay retail for what I wanted. I am not saying this because I am in the gun business. I am saying this because its true, I would say any member on this forum could drive to every gun shop within 250 miles of their homes and not find what they are looking for. The internet puts people where they need to be. Traveling and finding these guns is the toughest aspect of my business, selling is almost automatic and easy. I do the grunt work so other do not have to. Granted I get paid for it, but I its not all peaches and cream. I am on both ends, when I see a gun I want for my personal collection on the internet and its priced retail, I buy it. I dont let it slip by, on the hopes I find one for a few less dollars. In many cases, I may never encountner another one again period, at any price. Where is it you never see a fair deal ? Gunbroker , the Colt forum , Gunsinternational ? There are many good deals out there to be had. What I consider a good deal is paying 90-95% of retail. A great deal is when you find something for 85% of retail. The best deal of all is when you find exactly what you want at a price you can afford whether it be 1/2 price or 150% of retail. Being happy in the end, is worth more than money. If you getting into Collecting Colts and your trying to pinch pennies, you need to be collecting something else. I am not saying this to be smart, but you will hit a brick wall everytime you turn around if your just price shopping. You will quickly become less and less enthused about this hobby. Your money ahead to find what you want on the internet and buy it, get exactly what you want and end that particular search. Bargains become expensive when you tack on the gas and entry fees, all that glitters is not gold. Everyone loves bargains and everyone loves guns. I have personally found in this hobby its never the bargains that make you truly happy, its the great guns you own that make you truly happy.

"Early on in my gun collecting, I thought I was real smart trying to save a little money here and there. I cost myself a fortune."

John Fugate

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Here is something else to consider.When I bought my 1971 Nickel D.S. it looked like the Nickel was peeling off,it had a starting bid of 350 dollars.I figured if it was as bad as the pics I could always send it to Colt for a renickel.Well when my FFL got it the gun was near perfect and I was the beneficiary of bad pics and a leap of faith.I next wanted the Cobra so I waited close to 1 1/2 years before I found it for 325 dollars.It has honest holster wear,but a perfect bore,tight lockup,and the original Colt grips and a Tylet T-Grip.I also picked up a 1977 West German Walther PPKS for 450 dollars.The only thing wrong with it was that someone took the bluing off the backstrap with a Dremel.If you are looking for something and are on a budget you just have to be a little more flexible and way more patient......Mike

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Vintage racer , I know what you are saying. The last couple months, I haven't seen any Colts for sale at even remotely reasonable prices. I havent seen any new old Colts at the local half a dozen delaers that I go to. I never bought a gun off the internet because I cant check it out like I really want to, and usually the bidding goes too high and I'm not that big a gambler,for a gun Ive never held in my hand. I do, once in awhile, find a great deal at a local store but rarely at gun shows.However, About 3 months ago I walked into a BIg gun store and there was an Officers model match (1955), .22 with its original leatherette box marked under $650. The gun was Pristine and it had the original full checkered Walnut stocks. I checked it out and the timing was perfect,the bore was like new the bluing was perfect. I said to myself I must be missing something here. I wasnt -It shoots as good as it looks. Whoever listed this gun just didnt know the value of it or they paid way under value for it and only maked up the price per the company standard. I was just lucky to be there before someone else saw it. These occasions are becoming VERY RARE.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Unless you are lucky enough to find something locally, which will be unlikely, the online auctions are where one must look to find desirable Colts. There are generally no bargains there, but anything you buy today will be less expensive than it will ever be.

Insisting that you have to handle a gun before buying cuts you out of thousands of guns that you will never see locally. Sitting around looking for a bargain to show up locally is not often successful. About the only bargains ever seen anymore are some of the guns listed on the forums like this one, because some sellers apparently have a fear of the auction sites and unknowingly price their guns under market, where they are snapped up by dealers for resale.

Spend what it takes to get what you want now, because it will never cost less. Crying about prices does no good. The current market prices ARE the "reasonable prices." The fact that they are higher than you would want does not make them unreasonable.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I fully understand paying top money for top Colts,or Smiths, or whatever. I have no argument about paying the higher prices demanded for quality guns. What continues to amaze and mystify me, is top money demanded for poorly customized, well used, abused, damaged, etc guns. Seems that in some seller's minds, any used Colt, Smith, etc. is a Mint condition ( no matter how many times its been poorly refinished ), Very Very valuable collectors item, Especially if it is out of production. I guess because there were so many made, I see this most often with the '70 Series pistols. At some of the bigger shows I have attended, I see the same guns, at continually rising prices, for sale for months or years. I don't buy obscenely overpriced beaters, and I guess most other members of the gun buying public don't often buy them either. I think some of those sellers are just waiting for that one fish to come along some day. Mr. Fugate must see tons of what I am talking about in his travels...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless you are lucky enough to find something locally, which will be unlikely, the online auctions are where one must look to find desirable Colts. There are generally no bargains there, but anything you buy today will be less expensive than it will ever be.
Judge,

I agree. And really, you are one of the really one of the most trusted guys around here. :D I wish I could take you with me when I am shopping.

Insisting that you have to handle a gun before buying cuts you out of thousands of guns that you will never see locally. Sitting around looking for a bargain to show up locally is not often successful. About the only bargains ever seen anymore are some of the guns listed on the forums like this one, because some sellers apparently have a fear of the auction sites and unknowingly price their guns under market, where they are snapped up by dealers for resale.
I fully understand this.

I am not looking for a "bargain", but I am looking for "fair' value. Like a few other's have expressed, it's hard to find that special and correct Colt. There is so much "stuff" that just ain't so.

Crying about prices does no good. The current market prices ARE the "reasonable prices." The fact that they are higher than you would want does not make them unreasonable.
Mr. Judge.
I don't hesitate for a second when presented a nice revolver for a fair price. It just seems that a S&W finds me? :confused: When I am offered one that I can hold and inspect, without sales taxes and FFL fees, I am all over it. I am feeling better now. :D

It's a 1955 K-38 Combat Masterpiece (pre-15) square butt .38 Special in 90% condition with matching number stocks. It was much less than a Colt DS (late issue 3rd edition) ~90% (from pics) that I bid on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts