Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rare 4\" Officers Model 38 -- pics

Picked up this 4" Officers Model 38 today at one of our local gun shops. Serial #4604xx. It is about 98%. The last patent date on the top of the barrel is July 4, 1905, which puts the mfg. date I believe at 1920.

To put icing on the cake, it came with a leather holster that fits the gun perfectly. Carved on the back of the holster is a Marine lieutenants name, USMC, and South Pacific. The gun shop told us that this gun was carried in WWII by this gentleman.

[image]http://[/image]

We feel very privileged to have found this fine piece of revolver history, and will give it a place of honor in our collection.

I am sure we will hear items of information from fellow forum members, that we are not aware of concerning this revolver.

The marine's holster is an added bonus, and we hope to be able to trace who he was, and where he was during the war.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: Rare 4\" Officers Model 38 -- pics

Nice revolver and holster, but I doubt either was carried very much if at all.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I agree Majic, but we are still going to find out what we can about the marine officer who owned it. The gun shop owner said he might have been a pilot.

Maybe he flew a desk!!

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts

Nice find ! The 4" with target sights is very unusual . Thanks for sharing .

·
Registered
594 Posts

Very nice gun, R. We obviously are not hanging out at the same gunshops.

The holster is the type manufactured in WW2 for 4" .38 Special revolvers, principally the Victory Model.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Recently we visited the shop, and looked at the gun again. It was in a display case with other old pistols on the other side of the store from the main pistol displays. Evidently no one had recognized it for what it was.

I have built up a rapport with the shop owner through polite chat when in the store, and he knows we keep what we buy. He hates people to chisel him down, then resell his guns. I got him to get the revolver out, then bantered with him over price, and after awhile he dropped the price considerably, and we bought it. We do have several other OM's, and think they are the Mercedes of the pistol world.

I am trying to find someone who has privy to the Marine Corps. records to trace the officer that carved his name on the back of the holster. He served in the South Pacific during WWII. This revolver was made in 1920, so I am guessing it might have been a family gun he was given when commissioned. Anyway, whenever I pick it up I begin to dwell on who, and where he was, and what happened to him.

Should we find out anything important, I'll post it later on.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Robba:

That's a very neat historical revolver that you just found! Congratulations! It would be very interesting to learn more about this revolver once you can provide this information?

·
Registered
345 Posts

I agree they are at least the Mercedes of revolver.Maybe not as pretty as the Rolls Royce Pythons but every bit as accurite and maybe more-so.I enjoy shooting them and try to keep a hoard of 38 ammo around,so I can pick up and go shooting in a moments notice.I'm still trying to wear out a 6incher I got that was 97% when accuired.Still looks as good after I don't know how many 100's or few thousand rds of jhps though it..I go indoors so I can't use lead wadcutters..I know,shame on me,these guns were designed for lead wadcutters.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Nice gun; fascinating history of that 4" aside, the short barrels are quite scarce. I have a nice 5" made in the 30's. Rarely see the 4's, 4.5's, or 5's.

Bill A

·
Registered
323 Posts

robba,
What a wonderful revolver. The provenance makes it REAL special. Who knows where it found its way to before and possibly during WW II?
You make an excellent point in describing your relationship with the gun store owner. Honesty and courtesy go a long way in today's world.
Thanks for sharing those photos.
Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts