Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my recent short travel, I stopped in one gun shop that I just happened to notice. I indicated a current interest in Colt revolvers and was shown a Cobra - in "brushed" nickel. Most of the colt was fairly clear if not deep except for the pretty much missing front leg area. The VP and stamp behind the trigger were visible but not clear or deep. The COBRA on the barrel was very clear. When I mentioned that I suspected it was not a factory finish, I was told "It's in the book. They made them in nickel." I didn't get much response when I told them I thought the nickel of that era was all bright. I was handed the gun with the crane open for inspection. I noted the serial was 3xxxxx with no alphabetics. It got pretty quiet when I told them that Cobras of that vintage were stamped with LW. It occurred to me later that I never even thought about the actual weight, but I have only one light weight (agent) and it always startles me when I pick it up. In retrospect, this one didn't. What do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know a guy who changed a detective special barrel out for a Cobra barrel . He then had an all steel Cobra. Two years laterI sent my 1991a1 in to Fords to have it hard chromed. It looked so good he sent his Cobra/DS to have it done as well . Can you imagine finding this at a gun show or shop.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sounds like you were in the gun shop in Stuart that is presided over by a huge, but pleasant pit bull.

My son and I were in that shop yesterday, and looked at that Cobra. We were more of an opinion that it was hard chromed by a former owner. It sure looks nice, but almost to nice!

That shop always has more refinshed guns than any other one we frequent. He got a Shooting Master from the back one day, that had been reblued. The bore was awful, and he wanted $1,695.00 for it.

Anyway, if it was the same shop--just our humble opinion!

P.S. The manager of that shop seems to learn more about guns from us than we do from him. We told him that we thought that was a refinish. He acted like he did not suspect it, and maybe didn't.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if you would pick up on that. Weren't invading your territory, but we do motor up and down the coast frequently from New Smyna to Jupiter Inlet (A1A) not looking for guns. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I thought it was a little too bright for hard chrome. We were there Thursday. They probably thought it was a set up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The serial number comment got raised eyebrows from the "older" gentleman. The younger gentleman and the pit bull were very personable. I believe the price was low compared to their other pieces though, so maybe they had more than a notion. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
My son thinks someone may have put a cobra barrel on a detective special, and then hard chromed it. The barrel billboard looked fine. There is really no law against doing something like that with a beater. It's just when you sell it, the confusion starts.

We went in there one day, and he had a nickel diamondback with a gold hammer, and trigger. Of course you were not supposed to laugh or anything /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts