Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Im sure a few other guys have already seen these auctions, but if not they have now, and probably have the ability to overbid you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The guns supposedly came straight from the Colt vault. At least one is lettered so I guess that would make it "real".

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Im sure a few other guys have already seen these auctions, but if not they have now, and probably have the ability to overbid you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats Ok out of my price range anyway .Too close to Christmas for a large purchase for myself.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like the wrong box and label for the Combat. Wonder why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect there are no standard labels for guns that aren't produced. It was based on a Magnum Carry which is the label on the box. Perhaps it was the box for the frame used or just the closest labelling when the time came to box it? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I saw them and letters today in person....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in awe. Was your experience surreal?

·
Registered
794 Posts
The story on the Kodiak sounds real fishy to me.

A prototype is supposed to be produced BEFORE actual production, right?

The story quoted: " The .44 magnum "Kodiak" is on the Anaconda frame and was created with a lightweight 8" stainless barrel and was part of a lightweight barrel project undertaken by Phillip Olander in Sept. of 1998 who was the Colt Senior Manufacturing Engineer at the time (he's still with Colt as Safety Manager)."

The fact is the 44 magnum Colt Kodiak was released into production long before the stated 1998 prototype date. Evidence, my Kodiak was produced and sold in 1993, some 5 years before this alleged "prototype" was developed! Smell that fish now?

Everyone here should have learned a long time ago, don't buy the story, buy the gun. Unless there was some obvious typographical error in the story regarding the 1998 date, I can't believe the story on the Kodiak one little bit. Sadly even factory letters have been known to be faked.

All you other Kodiak owners, go check your DOM's and you'll know exactly what I mean.

·
Registered
764 Posts
surreal, not quite. The letters were in colt envelopes, stamped with raised colt "notary type" stamp. The guns looked okay, but the fit and finish weren't quite up to par with colt's IMO. This could just be the fact that they were custom shop project guns, instead of regular production guns. I had one of the guys get them out for me, and I was looking at them I made an off handed comment that it was a lot of money to "invest and be wrong about". He looked at me and agreed. He then said that the guy who owns them worked at colt. I told them that was why as of yesterday, there were no bids on them.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If you have an interest in these guns, why not call Kathy Hoyt at Colt and tell her you are thinking of purchasing the guns and you would like to verify that the letters on the guns are for real... in other words, did she really prepare them, or are they possibly fakes, and see what she says... you would need the serial numbers and dates of the letters... ???? Bob Best

·
Registered
21 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The story on the Kodiak sounds real fishy to me.

A prototype is supposed to be produced BEFORE actual production, right?

The story quoted: " The .44 magnum "Kodiak" is on the Anaconda frame and was created with a lightweight 8" stainless barrel and was part of a lightweight barrel project undertaken by Phillip Olander in Sept. of 1998 who was the Colt Senior Manufacturing Engineer at the time (he's still with Colt as Safety Manager)."

The fact is the 44 magnum Colt Kodiak was released into production long before the stated 1998 prototype date. Evidence, my Kodiak was produced and sold in 1993, some 5 years before this alleged "prototype" was developed! Smell that fish now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't smell fish here. Fijestad's Blue Book says the Kodiak was made in 1993, manufactured with 4" or 6" barrel, with a run of about 2,000. Sounds like you have one of them. But the gun in the subject auction has a 8" barrel and is said to be part of a 1998 "lightweight barrel project". In other words the frame design may not be new, but the new barrel design made it a prototype.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You may very well be right Don.

However, the description also called it "The .44 magnum "Kodiak." Facts is facts: The 44 Magnum Kodiak was indeed produced 5 years earlier.

So if it was a prototype of some sort it was more akin to the Anaconda than the Kodiak. This could easily be called a light weight barreled version of the Anaconda, and it would seem much more accurate. This, after the fact Kodiak prototype does not even have the unfluted cylinder recognized as distinctly Kodiak. Other than a roll mark that says Colt Kodiak, it is not like the Kodiak at all. The roll mark doesn't even look anything remotely close to the Kodiak or any other font I recall being used in a modern Colt gun. It looks more like an Anaconda with an 8" Trooper MK III barrel that was roll marked Colt Kodiak.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming this is a fake by any means, but there are simply too many inaccuracies in the story (description) for me to blindly believe. When it comes to this story and that gun, I'm from that "Show Me State." And I certainly believe the devil is in the details.

The Fijestad's Blue Book is not the best reference guide. It does have many errors and omissions, especially in barrel lengths and finishes. It is a good book to have, but by no means is it anywhere close to a final word.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
If you have an interest in these guns, why not call Kathy Hoyt at Colt and tell her you are thinking of purchasing the guns and you would like to verify that the letters on the guns are for real... in other words, did she really prepare them, or are they possibly fakes, and see what she says... you would need the serial numbers and dates of the letters... ???? Bob Best

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you have to be "Bob Best" for this to occur. I've called serveral times over the last couple years and I got nowhere. I can't get remotely close to Kathleen. Should I be asking for Kathy? Is there a secret password?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I think you are giving me too much credit here! ... There are NO secret passwords or such that I know of... There are advantages though in being a member of the Colt Collectors Association that you asked about a while back. Next time you call, if you don't get her (or Beverly) in person, leave a phone message including your question along with your call back number ... Be sure to mention you are a member of the CCA ( You ARE a member... Right???) I'm sure she will return your call. She may not be able to answer your question, but she has always called me back and told me she can or can't answer it... A number of collectors I know have received answers from her or Beverly in this fashion...

You should go to the next CCA all Colt show ... she attends them and is quite an interesting person to talk with... Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings,
I am Phil Olander, Safety Manager at Colt's. These guns were a prototype for a BARREL cost reduction. We reused the "Kodiak" name. The barrels were made from stainless bar stock and the front sight and ejector cover were machined and a high temperature brazed was used. The historical letter backs up my comments. If anyone has any comments I will be more that happy to respond.
THANKS

·
Registered
5 Posts
The guns DID come directly from Colt. I am Phil Olander and was the Sr. Manufacturing Engineer when these guns were made. We used exisiting frames and did the prototype barrel cost reduction. Any questions please feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, These guns were a BARREL cost reduction and do not nor were intended to look like the production Kodiak. The historical letters back up my comments. Any question feel free to contact me. I am Phil Olander, Safety Manager at Colt's.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts