Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On GA there is an ad for a rare stainless steel Diamondback in .38sp w/ 2 1/2" barrel and stag stocks with medallions for a paltry sum of $2275.00. Of course they list no pictures, but say they are available on request.
Where do these people come from?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Maybe he's mistaken nickel for stainless??

Maybe he's also mistaken his imagination for reality, too?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I just love American capitalism! As far as I know there were no stainless Diamondbacks produced. BUT, I do recall in Gun List seeing at least one time an advertisement for a stainless DB for sale (1992-1993 time frame). I also recall a knowledgable dealer from Ohio who had a "Stainless" 6"-Diamondback 22 on his table which I looked at. At that time, he was asking $600 for it in approximately 98% condition. [I keep notes of gunshows that I go to as far as interesting pieces (dealer name etc).] (I wish that I would have bought it.) I don't know if it was stainless or coltguard finish. But, it had the brushed stainless appearance to it. It certainly was not a bright nickel finish that was dull. This particular dealer was really into Diamondbacks and has provided me with some choice information in the past. It was this dealer that first told me that there was limited production of 2.5" nickel 22 Diamondbacks. By limited, I would guess less then 10 to 20 guns total which also fits with Diamonback68's previous estimate of production in another thread on DB's.

So, it is possible that this gun is indeed either stainless or coltguard finish. Either way, it is a VERY rare gun if the listing is close to accurate! It might even be worth the $ to a serious collector.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It might be hard chromed. I bought one of a special run of bobbed-hammed dao Detective Specials from the same time frame.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'd bet a five on the side that it was Coltguard or electroless nickel. They have that brushed stainless look to them.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I ain't buying it!

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts