Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With Veteran's Day coming I thought this would be of interest. This is my rare WWII US submarine periscope 16mm motion picture camera dating from 1942. Each submarine had one, the US fielding only 288 submarines during WWII, with 52 lost. The film would have been considered classified and used for intelligence purposes like the pre-invasion film of island coast lines in the Pacific. This is camera 143. It was also designed so that it could take hand held motion pictures top side, such as filming the recovery of enemy sailors from a sunk ship. I have some stills I captured from the film, "1945 Combat Footage of US Navy Sub Attacks Newsreel," which shows the use of this camera. I have also provided a link to the video. Filming with these cameras was done in high risk circumstances and their films reflect the bravery of US submariners. One in five US submariners died during the war. It is not known which submarine used this camera.

LINK: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zFiajgCt9-w

Attachments

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Thanks for sharing...that is really neat. From what I've read, the two most dangerous duties based on actual combat losses for Americans in WWII were the submarine service and being a member of the 8th Air Force in England.

Reactions: Jackson and ei8ht

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
I get the claustrophobia part. I toured the USS Torsk in Baltimore's Inner Harbor and I would have serious problems getting through the bulkhead hatches in a hurry as I'm a big guy. It's not like you see in the movies...those hatches are not very big. I think most submariners were smaller in stature by necessity.

Reactions: Jackson and ei8ht

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
I also toured the USS Torsk in Baltimore back in the late 1980's, if I remember right. It gave me a much greater appreciation for the guys who served in them in WWII. Claustrophobic is a mild word for the feeling I got in that tiny boat.

- - Buckspen

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the link. Great footage and a great find!
I was a periscope photographer back in the day on USS Bonefish SS-582, one of the B-girl fast attack diesel boats. We used 35mm TopCon cameras and I went to Navy periscope photography classes on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor. Had to develop pictures in the wardroom pantry. Boy, has the technology changed...

A little bit of trivia- when you see the officer pull off the periscope eyepiece and attach the film camera, a lot had to go on before you reached that stage. You had to attach the camera with a plate to the periscope and do a series of focus tests to determine the focal plane for each periscope. The film had to be developed to determine the setting with the best clarity. You then marked the focus ring on the periscope with a label/marker so you knew where the set the focus for that particular camera...

(Now, of course, you have live video anywhere in the sub you want, which I cannot confirm nor deny...)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
That's cool (and great to hear you actually used them Rienhart). I'm an antique camera collector, but don't have one of these. I have had a lot of aerial recon lenses, that are pretty huge and amazing. One was about as big around as an office trash can.

When in the Navy I was my ships intel photographer. Coincidentally, last weekend I found some old negatives from 1989 that I had never printed, from an unrep (refueling) at sea during a WesPac cruise. I had forgotten I'd taken these shots of the ships that came alongside us, and several of my ship and shipmates. All these ships are now at the bottom of the sea or cut up into steel chunks. I made a vid of the photos after scanning them all, and gave it to my ship's website.

·
Registered
643 Posts
OP, you come up with the coolest stuff.

Thanks, that brought back memories as a kid interested in WWII reading about the likes of Mush Morton as he carved a wide path thru the Nips in the Pacific ..."Destroyer gunning, Wahoo running"

Glad to see they finally located the wreck of the Wahoo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.