Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\"Rare little Colt \";shooting report.

'Bout 1 or 2 times a year I take my .32 Courier out of its "home".and give it some "action. The gun is NOT collector quality,probably 90%(no box,etc.) and is all original,including the very rare alloy cylinder,to match the alloy frame. To be "safer" when shooting, I put in a post war steel .32 cylinder and ratchet,that I bought and fitted. Alloy cylinder/frame has been turning a nice "pink shade"!

The Courier weighs 13 1/2" oz. with the alloy cyl. and just under a pound, with the steel. It is the 3" barrel,that was the only offering,including the .22,which weighs 19 oz. or about the same as a .22 3 Cobra I have. The Courier used the "short butt frame"-BUT also short stocks;no bottom filler. The early Agent also had this configuration.

I use a Pach. grip adapter,but it is still a hard little critter to hold;my wife carried it for 4 years,and has graduated to a 2" O.P.Like any "lightweight gun",it is difficult to hold still on the target,but it has a great trigger pull in S.A.,so accuracy is fine,with a very clear sight picture. Recoil,with .32 S&W Long reloads(2.5 Bull. under 100 gr. swaged lead RN Remingtons(.314 size) is very mild,and this helps get the gun back on target.

Is it a "defense gun",could be,but I'd prefer something larger. A "kit gun",maybe,but the lack of adjustable sights on it,and the later Cobra .22,made them difficult to sell,compared to S&Ws various Kit Guns. While "ruggeder" than the Kit Guns.we all know that you have to 'find' the right .22 load for your gun;more difficult with fixed sights. The .32 does have some wallop with stronger handloads.

Anyway,its a neat little piece,not a sales success,along with the Marshall,from the circa 1953-55 era;3,000 or so Couriers made,and have no idea of the split by caliber. I suspect that there are a "few" still sitting around in bureau drawers,possibly forgotten by their owners. As I said mine is not "mint",in fact it was carried(unauthorized,I hear!),by an elderly college watchman,who needed some "lightweight companionship" on his nightly fire watch walks around a large campus. Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: \"Rare little Colt \";shooting report.

Lonewolf: a .32 still beats your bare fists. Hard to believe that caliber was standard issue for many PD's at one time. I have not had the good fortune to run across a decent Courier yet, most are probably still giving good service to their owners who don't know that they're a rarity.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: \"Rare little Colt \";shooting report.

Lonewolf. I enjoyed your little run down on the Courier. I have two of the 22's. One is nickel and the other is blue. Nickel one is near mint and the other blue... not sure of the condition of the blue one as I haven't looked at it in a number of years. Probably about time, right. I do remember being a little irritated with myself after buying it since I didn't look it over very carefully. As I recall, someone scratched their initials on the bottom of the frame below the stocks.

I have always believed that they were under priced for the rarity in the collector market. Still do.

At one time, I inquired with Colt on the subject and they did not have a break down for production by caliber. They would probably have to search through the shipping records to obtain that info. 3000 total production is pretty darn rare though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts