Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I goy my 1851 Colt Navy in so look at it close and you will see it. Now I have another question what is more rare on a Colt Lighting Large Frame Half Octagon and round or Full Octagon cal.45-85-285 because I just ordered one that is a Half Octagon and round barrel
IMG_0294 (2).JPG
IMG_0295 (2).JPG

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The frame has been channel cut Colt did this at the factory the thought that the used primers would fall and not jam the next round with a old primer .There maybe more changes but that is one thing for sure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys your right the recoil shield have been change now that is another reason it is a one of a kind RARE

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Agreed, it appears that this 1851 was modified to prevent jamming from cap debis including the groove in the frame under the rear of the cylinder. Removing the recoil shield at the top of the cylinder could allow fragments of caps to hit the shooter. Interesting 1851 but probably not factory. Letters on some 1851's are available. The open Colt frame at the top of the cylinder was less likely to jam than the closed Remington style which is why the Colt was preferred by the Army. Don"t tell that to a Remington collector!

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
The 2 screws behind the trigger need to be tightened .

This should make the grip fit properly.
(if you are not kidding me ;))

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It 's in the Sutherland's Book . No Colt Factory paper because Colt didn't keep records that far back this one was made in 1853 . Now that is what I have been told ?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Colt did keep records from that far back but many from that time period were lost in a major fire at the factory in February of 1864.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.