Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
These are indeed RARE. I always hesitate to use that word as I think it gets used to often, however in this case we can say that these little guns are rare. I have two in my collection and they are consecutive serial numbered. I think the chances of getting struck by lighting is smaller than finding two of these and them being consecutive in serial number. I agree with Erik that Colt missed the boat by not making these a standard caliber in the Police Positive.
Here they are:

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Cam,

They are a great pair and yes, I think the chances of being struck by lightning are better than finding a pair like these!

Did they ship together? The ejector rod head on each appears to be different. Also, on the gun on the right, are the sides of the hammer blue or bright? (It's hard to tell from the photo).

Do you know how far off in number they are from the advertised gun?

Thanks for sharing,

Sam

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
Cam,

They are a great pair and yes, I think the chances of being struck by lightning are better than finding a pair like these!

Did they ship together? The ejector rod head on each appears to be different. Also, on the gun on the right, are the sides of the hammer blue or bright? (It's hard to tell from the photo).

Do you know how far off in number they are from the advertised gun?

Thanks for sharing,

Sam
Sam.

Thanks for the nice compliment and to answer your questions. The ejector rod end on the gun on the left does not match the original ones for a Colt Police Positive from this time period and I am quite sure it must have been changed at some time. The hammer on the other gun is blued indicating that it is not original either. I could replace these parts but I usually like to leave the guns as I find them.

The subject gun has a serial number in the 156,000 range and was shipped November 6th, 1919 in a group of 150 guns. As you can see my two guns were shipped many years later. As to how many of these Colt made is anybody's guess but in all of my years of collecting I have not encountered very many.

I have shown the factory letters below so that you may see where they were shipped and when. The first gun has some nice history since it went to an officer in the Hartford Police Department who later became the Chief of Police. It makes you wonder if he got this gun for his son or daughter. The gun came to me from the Hartford area and I suspect that it never ventured far from there until I bought it. The second gun was shipped to Knoxville, TN. which is not far from where I currently live. When I google the buyers name I find that there was a family in Tennessee with that name: Hod Lisenbee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Since it shows that John Lisenbee died just before the gun was shipped, and the gun was returned to the factory by the hardware company that it was shipped to, it makes you wonder if John Lisenbee order the gun and then pass away before it was delivered from the factory. After all he was just 67 years old when he died. I guess we can only speculate.

First gun:

Second gun:

Cam.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
This 1924 era Police Positive 22 has target sights. What is the nomenclature of this revolver? It is marked Police Positive 22 but has the traditional Colt adjustable target sights.
View attachment 44469 View attachment 44470 View attachment 44471
That is your standard Police Positive Target. They were offered in three different calibers: .22, .22 Wrf. & .32. The guns in the above post were the non-target 4" model in .22 caliber.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Cam that is amazing you found a consecutive number gun to the one I traded you, it sure is in the right collection. The odds of that happening are remarkable. What is the story behind that King-looking short tubed target gun?

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
Cam that is amazing you found a consecutive number gun to the one I traded you, it sure is in the right collection. The odds of that happening are remarkable. What is the story behind that King-looking short tubed target gun?
Steve. Thanks and it would not of happened if it wasn't for you. I did not mention above but the gun that I got from you had the original box and paperwork plus the neat history with the Hartford Police Department. I hope you are enjoying the gun that you got from me.

Now I just have to figure out how to trade Sam out of his nickel Police Positive. LOL

The 4" Police Positive Target was modified by King Gunsight Company and is not original with that barrel length as Colt only offered the 6" barrel length in that model. I thought it was a neat time period revolver and like the King modified guns.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Absolutely, one of my favorite New Services!! That King modified gun is intriguing me, I may take my "good" 6" PPS target and see if someone can clone that gun of yours, then I would actually shoot it. Any suggestions on where I might find a front site like that?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.