Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were only about 35,000 brushed blue Colt M1911A1 pistols produced in 1924 and 1937-1941. Of those, only 1296 were made and shipped in 1938. To my knowledge, there are only about 20+/- known to exist today. Several of those have non-matching slides, other non-original parts and/or are refinished. They are all rare, however.

This pistol is still all original. It appears to have been stored for several years and was reportedly purchased from the family of the gentleman who had been issued the pistol. It shows honest use and wear consistent with a military M1916 holster.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Nice find, indeed, Scott! I was just glancing at Proofhouse and I see your little gem is about as rare as the Singers!

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Ed. I assume you are referring to the production numbers listed on Proofhouse? The production numbers tell only half the story when it comes to rarity. Known examples remaining is the other half...and probably is a better indicator of rarity today. There are probably 5-6 times as many known Singers as 1938 Colts today. IMO, the 1938 Colts are one of the most under-valued examples there is. Few examples, if any, are more difficult to ever acquire.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Nice find. Many years ago I have been offered a .38SA parkerised. Barrel bushing was missing. I didnt baught it because new on the field of collecting.
I know stupid. Anyway, I got a .38Super made in 1949 and I love to shoot. I changed the barrel and it shoot very well. I fitted a BAR-STO barrel.
Its a grate difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts