Colt Forum banner

Ratchet dimensions

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  A1A 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the nominal or typical thickness of a new unfitted D frame ratchet /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry I don't.

That was something I never bothered to measure, since the critical measurement was how much needed to be removed when the ratchet was assembled to the cylinder, and test fitted to the frame.

In other words, how thick the new ratchet was wasn't important.
It was how much needed to be REMOVED that mattered.

You simply put the ratchet in the fixture and removed that "X" amount of metal.

#3 ·
I understand. I have a DS that has a little too much end shake, but collar stretching is not the answer because then the b/c clearance would be too much. With a little thicker ratchet, however, the head space and b/c clearance would be in the window. This piece had been refinished and it is possible that a little too much got taken off the ratchet when refitting. That is the only thing I can think of. I have a couple of used ratchets that measure about the same (as each other) but I presume some has been taken off them as you said. I have avoided taking the ratchet off the piece in question just to measure it, but I may have to. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#4 ·
Tough situation.

The way the Colt's are set up, is to set the head space first, then correct any end shake, THEN if necessary, set the barrel back one thread so correct barrel-cylinder gap can be set.

When you can't do it this way you often get into these situations where SOMETHING is going to be off.

#5 ·
Deeper and deeper. I removed and measured the thickness of the ratchet in question and indeed it is several thousandths thinner than a couple of "spares" that I have. So it seemed that there was a possibility of replacing it and fitting the replacement for reduced end shake. However, when installing a potential replacement, it bottoms on the ejector rod finger tight with the guide pin holes way too far away to be tightened into alignment, implying that the splined stem guide in the cylinder would have to be rotated. Incidentally, the stem guide appears to be not quite perpendicular to the cylinder centerline perhaps having been removed for refinishing (although I would not necessarily expect that) and not quite completely reinstalled which may cause just a little drag on the stem. The "original" ratchet, howver, does of course tighten and align normally. By the way, it is a "new style" cylinder and ejector assembly with the integral rod and head, but it doesn't seem the ratchet would be any different. So, I guess my questions after a long lead in are what is the story on the initial assembly of cylinder, rod guide, rod and ratchet? Does ratchet replacement usually require driving out and repositioning the guide (seems excessive)? I don't see anything in Kuhnhausen that addresses replacement issues other than fitting. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.