Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my gunsmith check my 1970 Python timing. He says the ratchet is worn. I have found a NOS ratchet that threads onto the rod. My ejector rod is splined. With that type of splined ejector rod is the ratchet threaded on and staked into position ? Thanks for any help.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,428 Posts
Yes....but.......

A new ejector is threaded on until it will align with the chambers then staked with a flat faced staking punch.
There may need to be some fitting to make sure there's no over-hang into any of the chamber mouths.

The real work comes in fitting the cylinder and ejector assembly to the frame.
This is done by using a precision surface grinder, lathe, or milling machine to trim the rear face of the ejector to set head space.
For this you need a head space gauge.

Once that's done, you have to check for cylinder end shake, barrel/cylinder gap, chamber alignment with the bore on all six chambers, and timing on all six chambers.

My suggestion is to send the revolver and the new ejector in to Colt or to Frank Glenn in Arizona and have it professionally installed by a real Colt expert who will get it right the first time.
These days, Pythons are just to valuable to take chances with.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would want to be certain the ratchet needs replacing before you jump into the job; as dfariswheel point out it's very involved to replace a ratchet. Is it suffering from a carry-up issue? Perhaps the hand just needs stretching?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The carry up is off on 3 chambers, pulling the hammer back slowly with no finger pressure used. They do click in when the trigger is pulled. In the small amount of reading I've done so far this should be corrected.
In a conversation with my gun smith he thought stretching the hand would fix it. When I showed him the gun he said it needed a new ratchet. I found an NOS ratchet and thought I would ask here for some second opinions.
I think I will use the suggestion by dfariswheel and get the ratchet and send the gun to Colt or Frank Glenn. Thanks again.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,428 Posts
Where you are, your only source of Colt education is to order the Jerry Kuhnhausen Shop Manual Volume One.
This manual was written as a training aid for new gunsmiths.
Kuhnhausen trained gunsmiths, including for the gun factories, so he taught things in the way that the factories did repair work.
This manual shows all Colt gunsmithing the factory way, and goes into great detail.
You still have to have gunsmithing skills and a few tools.

You can order the book here, and they'll ship it to you:

THE COLT DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS - A SHOP MANUAL | Brownells

When you order the book, also order some real gunsmiths screwdriver bits and a handle.
For the Python you'll need the following bits:
.150-2
.150-3
.180-2
.180-3
.210-3
.210-4.
The reason for having two thicknesses of bits in each size it to insure a perfect fit in screw slots that may vary slightly.

MAGNA-TIP SUPER SET BITS | Brownells

Also buy a law enforcement size handle for the bits. These handles are the perfect size for good control. You can get them with magnetic retention or a clip retention. I recommend buying both types, you'll use them both.

LAW ENFORCEMENT HANDLES | Brownells

This will give you the best start possible where you are since you have no local source of help.
You have to STUDY the shop manual. It was a training AID, and it assumes you already have gunsmithing skills. You have to read it very closely to discover the finer details.

As for parts for the Python, the supply of new, genuine Colt parts has largely been exhausted. About all that's available are used parts that are often not usable since they've been fitted to a different gun and may be too small.
There are some newly made replica parts available, but these are on the order of raw, unfinished parts that require extensive work before they're ready to even start being installed and adjusted to a revolver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.