Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOWDY,

The Rattlesnakes are out of their dens here now even with all the cold and wet weather. 3 Killed so far and one didn't rattle and was coiled. Anyone else seeing them?

Be safe

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Here in PA. we only see eastern timber rattlesnakes in the deep woods. I don't remember anybody ever seeing one in their suburban back yard, for example.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have not seen any snakes yet, and rattlesnakes are not a concern here in NJ. But this fella came out the other day. He was pretty big, hissing and snapping. My daughter thought he was "neat" and took some photos. I was thinking target practice but well my daughter thought he was "neat". So, he is still roaming the woods on my property.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
HOWDY,

The Rattlesnakes are out of their dens here now even with all the cold and wet weather. 3 Killed so far and one didn't rattle and was coiled. Anyone else seeing them?

Be safe

I'm seeing close to 100 every day.

I'm a Reptile Keeper/Herpetologist at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson, and it's my job to maintain our rattlesnake collection. If anyone has any questions or snakes they'd like identified, please drop me a PM...

Russ

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I have not seen any snakes yet, and rattlesnakes are not a concern here in NJ. But this fella came out the other day. He was pretty big, hissing and snapping. My daughter thought he was "neat" and took some photos. I was thinking target practice but well my daughter thought he was "neat". So, he is still roaming the woods on my property.
Snapping turtles are another story. We have plenty of them in the river, one block from my house. Some big brutes, too.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Snakeman99, as a herpetologist,how do you feel about about the wanton waste of an animal ? I have no problem with dispatching poisonous snakes from around inhabited buildings or concentrations of livestock. I have always found a direct correaltion between the # of rodents and snakes.Snakes being like all animals will seek areas that provide food and shelter.I quit killing rattlesnakes years ago.I find them far more beneficial than not,take out the predators the void will be filled possibly by something even less desirable.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Blademan - that's a big looking snapper. Had one come up out of the woods in the spring, a few years ago, with a shell about the size of a hubcap. I tossed him into a half-barrel until the girls got home. They thought he was neat; after they looked at him, I toted him on back to a stream out back and let him go. That was one stinky animal.

We get copperheads, but not rattlers around here. The problem with copperheads is that they stand their ground, but since they don't have rattles one doesn't know they're there. At dusk or night, when we're out walking along the road it's possible to step right up on them before even being aware they're there. It tends to make jogging or walking the dogs a little adventuresome, sometimes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They have been out here for a little bit. Its been so hot here though is why, I've only seen two in the Wild before Once when at QSR here in KS the other when I was at Philmont in New Mexico.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
My Uncle lived in Montana and would kill any snake he saw. I know he did use the rattlers skins for stuff. (hatbands, belt buckles, belts, etc.) Once awhile back here in Illinois while visiting I took him out to an area were I hunt. We were driving in his Bronco when all of a sudden he floors it for a second then slams on the brakes !! I yelled '"What the hell are you doing!?" his reply was just "snake" - We get out of the Bronco and there by the drivers side front tire is a very large snake that he had pinned by the tail. He procedes to pull out a Cobra and starts taking aim. I tell em "Uh don't you think that you might hit your tire?" --- "Oh, I didn't think of that" I explained that it was just a very large Bull Snake and that it helps by keeping the rodent population down. We let it go, but I still envision him shooting at the snake and blowing a hole in his tire at the same time!
In relation to this,on this same Bronco he had a clear bug shield. I notice a small caliber bullet hole in it. So I had to ask = Whats with the bullet hole?? Him being a man of many words leans onto the hood as if holding a rifle and states "Coyote" and that was it.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Snakeman99, as a herpetologist,how do you feel about about the wanton waste of an animal ? I have no problem with dispatching poisonous snakes from around inhabited buildings or concentrations of livestock. I have always found a direct correaltion between the # of rodents and snakes.Snakes being like all animals will seek areas that provide food and shelter.I quit killing rattlesnakes years ago.I find them far more beneficial than not,take out the predators the void will be filled possibly by something even less desirable.
I'm obviously a bit bias when it comes to rattlesnakes but if they pose any threat to kids or pets I have no problem either moving or "dispatching" the snake. I get several calls per week to remove rattlesnakes from yards, patios, and garages. As you said, they do provide a valuable service in keeping rodent populations in check.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm obviously a bit bias when it comes to rattlesnakes but if they pose any threat to kids or pets I have no problem either moving or "dispatching" the snake. I get several calls per week to remove rattlesnakes from yards, patios, and garages. As you said, they do provide a valuable service in keeping rodent populations in check.
As a professional wildlife biologist, I agree wholeheartedly. But, growing up in SoCal, I am prejudiced a little (having kept 100+ snakes as a kid). After I found the third rattler on my (ex) father-in-laws driveway, I did start wearing shoes at night when I came over.

BTW: I found two road kills here in eastern Washington 2 weeks ago. Both were females.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
All of my friends from the eastern part of the state hate snakes and kill or run away from (literally)every one they encounter. It's funny to watch a 6' 4" adult male jumping up and down screaming because there was a snake on the ground.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts