Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was smoking a cigar and looking through magazines when I had this idea to put a rawhide cuff on a sixgun holster. I've learned to keep a sketchpad nearby so I can commit my ideas to paper, lest I forget them ten minutes later. This is the result. I used a piece of my drum dyed brown leather, later dipped in walnut dye. The deer rawhide soaked in walnut dye for a few hours to get good saturation. Tin cones and fringe with a combination of modern Czech beads with antique French and Italian beads.

Found this well done cartridge conversion on Gunbroker. Built from a Uberti percussion gun with a gated conversion cylinder and relined barrel for use with standard .358" bullets. Cylinder is short so I'll need to use .38Colt brass. Note the conversion ring is color cased. I have a Kirst ejector to install on it.

Watching a YouTube channel "plowboysghost" got me hot for a Navy gripped 5½" 1871-1872 Open Top, so I ordered a Cimarron in .44Colt. Already swapped the grips for factory faux ivory and darkened the grip frame with cold blue. Put new springs in it while I was in there but it needs a little smoothing. It's got some interesting case colors but that's not rust on the loading gate. The old stump really makes a better backdrop for pics.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I like the cold blue to knock down the brass shine too. It almost gives the brass a bad color cased look. You still have that Uberti engraved 1972 Open Top? I still have mine and it looks fine.

Reactions: SHOOTER13

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I can't abide shiny brass on a sixgun. I don't like it until it turns and shows a little wear.

I do still have the engraved gun. Still one of my favorites! I've got another project going with my 1860 Type II. Just got the barrel back from JRH, shortened to 5.5" with a dovetail front sight. When I get the grip frame back with giraffe bone, it's going to the engraver. It'll end up with an antiqued finish afterwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts