Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if this section is the place for this question, but I was reading the latest RIA catalogs and in a description of an engraved SAA the name Raymond H. Vanyek was mentioned as being an advanced collector of Colts. I wanted to know something about him since I have in my S&W collection an engraved and gold inlaid 44 Magnum he ordered from Rex Firearms in New York in October 1957 and shipped to him in January 1958. This 44 Magnum is one of the most heavily inlaid and engraved guns I have ever seen and was invoiced at over $700. I looked his name up on the internet, but found out very little. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Below are photos of the 44 Magnum.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
He is mentioned several times in the book "A study of the colt single action" by Kope Graham and Moore. Several nice pictures of his engraved guns are in that book. I never knew but assumed he was a California guy.

Reactions: saintclair

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In 1957, Mr. Vanyek was the owner of Vermont Play-Time Day Camp in Los Angeles. He wrote a letter to S&W dated September 6, 1957 expressing interest in an engraved 44 Magnum and the inability to order one through local dealers. S&W referred him to Rex Firearms and he ordered the revolver on October 28, 1957. The 44 Magnum was shipped to Rex Firearms by S&W December 27, 1957 and it was shipped to Mr. Vanyek on January 3, 1958. Ted Zarry of Rex Firearms stated in a letter dated December 30, 1957 the 44 Magnum was one of the finest pieces they had ever seen and doubted there was another to compare with it.

Thanks for the information about Mr. Vanyek, I appreciate it.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts