Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Good Morning

The thread you reference is just as applicable to your Python as it is to the Detective Special or any other revolver. The proper fitting screwdriver is the ABSOLUTELY most important piece. The head must fit perfectly both in length of slot and width of slot. If there is any wiggle room you will find yourself damaging the screw head for sure. After a couple of assembly and disassembly attempts for cleaning purposes you will be more relaxed and find that it is almost as easy to do as pulling the trigger.
One additional word of caution- double check to make sure the cylinder is empty even if you know that it is check anyway!

flanman

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Flanman, and also for the safety reminder.

My buddies tease me (gently) because the first thing I do when I pick up a revolver is open the cylider to check that it is empty, even if it is now the fifth time in a row I have picked it up (and no-one else has touched it, nor has it been out of sight).

As Kid Sopris taught me,
"Safety First,
Safety last,
Accidents happen really fast"

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,081 Posts
The same general technique applies for the Python and all other post-war Colt revolvers.

The new style cylinder retention looks like a large head screw on the right side of the frame.
It's actually a cap.
Unscrew the cap and remove it.
Under the cap is a spring and a cone shaped plunger. Remove them.
Open the cylinder and rotate the cylinder so a flute lines up with the lower left side of the frame, and pull the entire cylinder assembly out.

Re-installation is the opposite.
DO NOT attempt to further disassemble the cylinder assembly. The older Colt assembly requires two special tools, and even the new style can be easily damaged if improper technique is used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts