Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to getting the side plate back on properly on a Colt Python? Every time I try the action doesn't work properly. I'm about ready to send it to the factory. The problem seems to be with the arm that makes the cylinder rotate when the revolver is cocked. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Make sure the "hand",or the lever you mentioned that rotates the cylinder,is under the rebound lever. That is the lever that runs from the grip frame,and is under tension from the lower leg of the wishbone spring in the grip frame. You may have popped it out,when you took off the side plate.(Did you take the gun apart after removing the sideplate??) Anyway,to get the hand under it,you will have to lift the rebound lever up a little with a small screw driver,the push the lower edge of the hand(by the stud that positions it in the trigger). This will give tension to keep it against the cylinder.

Just go slowly,especially manipulating the cylinder latch so hole in rear of it will be able to fit into the pin on the bolt,that actually latches the cylinder. Cylinder and its crane should be OUT of the gun for these operations. Hope this helps,and its kinda hard to describe doing this. Good Luck, Bud

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lonewolf, That was exactly the info I needed. I had the Python back together and working like new in under 5 minutes! I bought this one from a pawn shop today. I was hoping I could fix the problem. Couldn't have done it alone, though. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts