Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking advice on proper method & materials to re-attach the front sight on my pre-Python Colt .357. Was shooting mild target loads this afternoon and the front sight flipped up and fell off! I've only had the gun a short time and was becoming a favorite due to its accuracy. Sight may have been damaged by previous owner(s) and simply super glued back in place. Then again it could have been failure of the factory brazing/silver solder. Can't really tell.

Anyway, I'd like to properly reattach it without risking damage to barrel temper or finish. Would also like to maintain as much as possible the original sight alignment. Don't see any evidence of a dovetail, pin, screw or other alignment mechanism. Your advice appreciated!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
This is bad news, since the factory brazed the sights on, and that's about the only thing that will hold it.

Brazing, (either brass or "silver soldering") requires red heat up around 1100 to 1200 degrees to melt and flow, and this WILL destroy the finish.

There are lower temp "soft solders" that are tougher than regular soft solders that melt at higher temps than ordinary soft solders, but lower than brazing.

Brownell's hi-temp Hi-Force 44 solder #080-649-501 melts at 650 degrees and is stronger than any other soft solder.

This MIGHT work, but in all likelihood, only real brazing is going to retain a Magnum revolver front sight.

The problem is, there are no new barrels available, so your only option is to get it repaired.

My advice is to talk to Cylinder & Slide about repairing this.

C&S is possible THE top Colt qualified repair service for this particular type of work.
They can reattach the sight, and re-blue it so it matches the frame.

Likely, C&S would be able to do a factory-new, unnoticeable repair and re-finish.

I would definitely NOT trust someone else. Locals would likely botch it. This is too valuable a gun to risk.

Cylinder & Slide, Inc.
245 E. 4th Street
Fremont, NE 68026
(402) 721-4277
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

·
Registered
28 Posts
While I wouldn't experiment on your Python, as an alternate to brazing you might consider JW Harris's brand of low temp silver bearing solders. Stay Silv brand is as strong a bond as conventional silver brazing but melts at almost same temperatures as soft solder. You can usually find at any local shop that sells welding or HVAC supplies.
Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts