Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member, but I have been reading for some time. I have a problem and I am looking for you guys for advice. I screwed up my barrel with a bad re-load. There is a small but noticible bulge in the barrel about mid-point. By the way it is a 6" Python, serial V36xxx. I mainly use this gun as a shooter, While I want to keep it in excellent condition, it gets to go to the range a lot.

What are my solutions? If I sent it to Colt to get re-barreled, I am considering having an 8" barrel installed instead of the 6". Good or bad idea? Should I have other work done, like a "tune-up"? Is this work something that my local (very reputable) gunsmith can do?

Your advice is appreciated.
Tony

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Barrel length comes down to mostly personal choice. The longer sight radius may help improve YOUR accuracy, but not the guns. The Colt service shop will examine the gun, and give you a cost estimate to return the gun to factory specs. I would reccommend you stay away from local gunsmiths, as there are very few skilled at working the Colt double actions. The Colt service shop is, by far, the best choice, for price and workmanship, with Pittsburg Handgun, and Cylinder & Slide close seconds. Beyond that, you risk a cobbled job.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Colt seems to service Colts the best. As for an 8 inch barrel, if you think the 6 inch is just a tiny bit muzzle heavy, the 8 inch is a lead weight! I have a 6 and and 8 inch Python. The 6 inch barrel is really the limit of practicality in the Python (and most other 357's). I have not shot my 8 inch Python, but I do enjoy the 6 inch model. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Both my 357 Pythons have 6 inch barrels, and the only 8 inch Python I have is a 38 special target model. It doesn't seem excessively muzzle heavy to me, and the accuracy is fantastic, but I've never fired anything in it but mid range wadcutter target loads. I didn't mention my results with the 8 inch 38 Python in my earlier response to your question, because I did not think it would be a fair comparison to the 357 for the question posed. I don't consider my 8 inch 38spl Python to be suited for anything other than paper punching, and fondling on cold winter nights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts