Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4" Diamondback in .38 special mfg. 1969 that had some light rust spots on right side of barrel and cylinder. I have removed the rust using instructions I received here (thanks guys). Looks much better! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm thinking of sending it to Colt to have it re-blued so right side is perfect like the left side. My question is about the blue. It seems that I have seen 2 different blues. One is the regular blue that I have seen on many (and on mine) and the other looks almost black. Are there 2 different blues and will I have to specify to Colt?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If it were possible, I would want the "royal blue" finish as is put on Pythons. Rebluing the gun will essentially destroy any kind of collector value except from novices. So, get what looks good to you if it is possible. Just ask?

·
Registered
778 Posts
There are shooters, and there are NIB's. I would keep it as is, and shoot it. Spend your money on a NIB, later on, if you want it to collect.

Refinishing just kills the resale value.

There is a refinished 4" Diamondback on GB right now, and its just sitting there. No bids!

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
robba speaks the truth. We all would like to have pristine guns, but that is not possible. We all would like to have original guns, and that can be possible if we keep them original when we get them in original condition.

Do your part to save the steadily declining pool of original guns. Just say no to refinishing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just for the sake of conversation; what does reblueing cost? I guess what I am thinking here is that if a pistol is your "shooter" and you wanted to have one that wasn't an ugly bird, why not reblue it?

I ask this from the mind set of a semi-serious shooter who comes from the semi-auto side of the fence and have modified every Colt semi I have ever owned.

Is it possible to leave the classics classic and have fun with those already religated to become a "shooter"?

Lee

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow - what a debate I have started. And I'm a newbie. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I can see both sides of the fence here. Although I was actually thinking along Lee's thoughts. Original guns are great but I just like my stuff looking best it can (even for a shooter). The barrel is great after I removed the rust. Just a bit of discoloring in the very end. But the cylinder has some spots that are just kinda ugly. It just doesn't fit since the rest of the gun blue is perfect. Certainly not trying to create a collector piece. Just trying to keep it looking good. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif BTW, Colt quoted $160.00 to reblue the gun. Not too bad I thought.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought my Python, NIB, in 1965 and carried and qualified with it for 20 years. In `85, I was forced, kicking and screaming, to transition to an auto.

I called Colt about a re-blue and talked to one of the rudest service people that I've ever encountered. I was told that they wouldn't guarantee the blue, could not provide parts, and I was wasting my time bothering her. Needless to say, the gun did not go to Colt.

A local gunsmith, who was also a friend of mine, offered a deal I couldn't refuse: He'd re-blue it and if I was not satisfied, there would be no charge. A1A was kind enough to post a photo in this thread:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=17651&an=0&page=0#17651

Needless to say, when I saw it, I paid for it and bought him lunch. Unfortunately he passed away and took his secrets with him.

My Python was a duty gun and shooter. After 20 years of holster wear, there was no collector interest. I saw no reason not to re-blue it. I don't have any safe queens. All my guns are shooters so I see no reason not to re-blue. If you look at the photo, you'll see that I put a set of Mustang grips on it. I shoot better with them than I do with the originals, which I still have.

By the way, Colt service has done a complete turn around. My last contact with them was great and they did an excellent job on my Magnum Carry. My contact in `85 was during the strike and there may have been a reason for the woman's attitude,

John

·
Registered
991 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Do your part to save the steadily declining pool of original guns. Just say no to refinishing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This gets my vote!

Look at the first generation SAA's that have 10-20% finish and are selling for thousands of dollars.

Your meager Colt DA with the tiny surface rust blemish could be a king someday!

Post some pictures. Let's see how bad the damage really is.

Seriously, I do agree with the Judge. I would never reblue an original Colt. Especially if it is just surface rust and no bad pitting. I'd clean it and keep it greased up well to prevent any further damage.

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This gets my vote!

I would never reblue an original Colt. Especially if it is just surface rust and no bad pitting. I'd clean it and keep it greased up well to prevent any further damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno if I was voting or debating, rather just asking some questions to maybe "brainstorm".

If our friend here is just wanting to shoot the gun, I was wondering why bother?

It was merely, "food for thought", and I know if I was going to shoot it I was re-blue it so I may enjoy it.

This same conversation has happened a million times with "collector" cars. Some folks say, "Don't touch them" however I love a highly modified, no stock 1968 Fastback Mustang over a stock 200-straight six 1965 in some puke green.

I think the right questions need to be answered before someone can choose the right ath to take a firearm.

If / when I buy a late 50's to mid 70's NIB/UF Python, D-Back, and or alike, I will not shoot, handle, nor turn their cyl.s; till then, I buy used 80% - 95% production guns that I can shoot, carry, and enjoy to get the full potential of these pieces.

I'm just happy we can have a great place to share ideas with amoungst friends that all have the same passion.

Lee

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
As was said before, shoot it and enjoy it (as is). Let the future dictate whether or not there will ever be any collector interest. I have my doubts about any significant value. The rebluing might make it look prettier, but why spend the money?

·
Registered
778 Posts
My final opinion! Rebluing a used, or old revolver to me is sort of like trying to put the virginity back into a woman.

Most of these revolvers are used, and are 30 to a hundred or more years old, and appear the way they do because of honest wear, and age.

Wouldn't it be great if we could meet the former owners, who perhaps spilled a drop of honest blood on the gun that marred the blue, or nicked the grip falling off a horse?

Would it not be great to be able to shake their hand, look into their eyes, and chat awhile? Or; what if we could stand off beside a battlefield, where someone was defending himself with our worn 1909, or 1917 Colt revolver?

I rest my case. Reblue if "you" must, but not my old guns.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
robba speaks the truth. We all would like to have pristine guns, but that is not possible. We all would like to have original guns, and that can be possible if we keep them original when we get them in original condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

JC, You forgot one thing. When a gun is found to be illegitimate, it shall be culled from the collection.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Once again, the question should be asked / answered; "Is this a shooter or will it be an attempt at a collector?"

"Does a 1969 D-Back have any real value?"

"He already has the capital expenditure of the weapon, so can he justify the $120 to have a "new looking weapon?"

"If the value decrease of the weapon is <$100> over the next 10yrs, is it worth firing and using this 69 D-Back as a shooter?" - "Would YOU lease a 69 D-Back for $10 a year to shoot at your own will?"

I'd like to know what choice he makes......just interested.

Lee

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
When does a "shooter" become a "collector?" That old Single Action pinch frame refinished decades ago because it had no finish, so it would be a pretty shooter and would never be collectable anyway, would seem to offer a lesson. A "shooter" today absolutely will become tomorrow's "collector." A few spots on some "modern" collectables, such as a Marshal or Border Patrol, do not affect the value anywhere close to the depreciation caused by a refinish. The Diamondbacks are rapidly approaching that status as one of the fastest appreciating "modern" Colts, and I think they should be left alone.

However, the owner can do anything desired, including painting it red or throwing it in the river. Whether that should be done is the issue. We are only caretakers of our guns and have an obligation to preserve them for the future. If honest use takes off the finish or creates a rust spot, that is part of the gun's heritage.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i hear ya screaming.......

then the answer is "yes, the gun has a very good chance at becoming collectable and the devaluation of re-blueing far exceeds the upside of shooting it."

To the fella with the D-Back: Sale said gun to fellow "collectors", take earned (yet not claimed) revenues, buy maybe a Trooper III, King Cobra, or S&W 626 and have enought left over to buy eye/hearing protection, 100rds of ammo, a carry bag, a kydex holster (all the cool kids are doing it), and a small bottle of CLP.

There.....maybe thats EXACTLY what he ought to do.

Lee

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not screaming. Just making a point of a potential very bad mistake. A re-blue can never be reversed. I recently purchased a Nickeled Marshal. The pics were poor and getting better ones wasn't going to happen. I had a 3 day return policy so I took a chance. It took 2 seconds to realize that the gun was a renickel or a blued gun that had been nickeled. The seller took the gun back no questions asked. The seller took the gun to a "knowledgeable" gun guy to get his opinion of the finish. He also said it was original nickel and not a re-nickel. I did get my money back and left it at that. He will unload the gun with no problem but it won't go to a knowledgeable collector.

Many people can't tell when a gun has been refinished nor do they care. I end up sending back 50% of my purchased internet guns. Most due to re-finish. It's easy to hide the problems in a photo.

A refinished gun will always be just that.....a refinished gun. Some see beauty and some see something you'd get from an amusement park.

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not screaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a saying........maybe just a southern thing.

I understand the point.......and thats why I said maybe he ought to sale the thing and buy something that will shoot just as good, look twice as good, and still have some cash left over.

He would knock out 2 birds with one stone.......save a weapon others want and get a shooter he can enjoy....win/win.

Lee

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
"When a gun is found to be illegitimate, it shall be culled from the collection." -Addicted-

Is this the 11th Commandment? Maybe it should be. I don't believe anyone is trying misrepresent anything and create a big collector item. I wouldn't reblue it. But he just wants the gun to look good in his own eyes. It is like repainting a car... I would like it to be red instead of green. The gun is his to do with as he pleases. Heck, even my wife disagrees with me, why not a complete stranger? Freedom! Thank God for America!

·
Registered
806 Posts
You guys are missing the most 'obvious' point, yes any old "collectable" firearm (NOT all "old guns are " collectable, I have a box of I'J" s and H&R's and the whole box ain't worth $100!) if it is "normal" wear and tear and the blue is "fading", it will retain a "value" ,BUT if 'neglect' and or abuse, causes detrimental 'finish'issues, then there is NOTHING wrong with a "proper restoration" especially if it is done by the factory.

There are "reblued" guns out there that are NOT worth a "dime" to me because they are butchered and badly done, most of these are done that way because the person doing the job,had NO clue, so use these guns for the "shooters", believe me there are plenty of them in this catagory; but why NOT have a gun in your possession that you can be "proud" of? If you do NOT take care of it, it is only going to "get worse".
True collectors and the "experts" know when the gun is 'refinished' or not. If you don't "know" you have no business buying the gun, and coming back later 'crying about it'...................................

As 'Addicted' said above, I would NEVER trust an 'internet, digitally enhanced picture' with out a gaurantee of some kind, what you "see", may NOT be what you get.....caveat emptor....................

1 - 20 of 23 Posts