Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer has a 6" Python that has been re blued (not Factory)
Asking $500. Action is tight and timing is right on. Comes with Factory Grips (which are selling for $150 and up)
So the question: Is this worth spending $350.00 on? After recouping the $150 on Fleabay for the grips?
I know it has no collector value but I am thinking that it will make a nice shooter.

Comments?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
in my opinion a shooter grade python @ 350$ is as cheap as any quality 357 gun can be had. so yes. a word of caution, i would not count on getting 150$ for the stocks unless they are perfect or near so.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
While occasionally people go off the deep end on Ebay with Colt factory target grips, usually the only ones that can be counted on to bring those prices are the early fully checkered version.

$350 for a shootable Python is a real steal, and I'd go for it in a second.

Todays good deal on a re-blued shooter, is day after tomorrows valuable collectible worth real money.
Care to compare a Second Generation re-blued Colt Single Action Army shooters price then and now?

·
Registered
323 Posts
szuppo,
If you're going to buy it (and it sounds like you should), keep the factory grips on it.
Don

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stocks are 1975-76 Vintage. In very good to excellent condition.
I know not every pair sells for that much but from what I have seen recently, they would have no problem.
Guess I have to make another trip /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just to make things more easy:

How soon will you find another 6" .357 Magnum shooter for say $400, - which has the performance of a proper working Python?

I rest my case, your Honor!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it and here it is. Blued the hammer too /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Serial Number is 11413E

Bad picture, no tripod, sorry.
WHat do you think about the grips? I think they are nice and rival the grips on my other Pythons.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
From this distance, the stocks look like $150.
Early style dark, nice grain 1/2 moon stocks.
Looks like money well spent.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Even for a Re-blue it's still looks pretty good! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (re: understatement of the year)

Good buy, hope you have as good as a blast as I've had with mine!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll post some better pics later tonight. Right now I can't stop handling it. All my others are safe queens and I don't even turn the cylinders on them /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Do you think I can polish the bluing off the sides of the hammer to make it look normal?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
"Do you think I can polish the bluing off the sides of the hammer to make it look normal?"

Not without disassembling the gun and getting the hammer out.

If you can do that... Yes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Removing the hammer won't be a problem. I guess I will try and use some Flitz and see if that takes the blueing off.
Here are a some better pictures, kinda make it look grey though.........
One other Question, under the grips on the frame it is marked INS any ideas what this means?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Szuppo, lookin' mighty fine to me at that price. I have a reblued 357 Magnum that I want to get the hammer looking right on, too. I asked how to do this in the smithing section, and icdux1 kindly advised to use 600 grit auto type sandcloth. I haven't got to it yet, but betcha that'll do a good job. Post back on how it goes, whatever you use, please, so I can learn from your experience. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts
Steve, that is a "good looking" gun. Yes, just polish the sides of the hammer with some "fine" emery paper.
Bring it over the house and I'll "show " you how! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You done good, and would still sell as a "shooter" for what you paid or more and "keep" the grips, put some "rubber baby buggy bumpers" on it...................................

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dan,
I will probably keep this one as a shooter since I don't have one. I'll give you a call this week and maybe we can get together. I picked up a nice Nickel 27 too.

Steve

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
11413E was made in 1975.
The "E" PREFIX numbers ended early that year, and the "E" SUFFIX serial numbers began.
The "E" suffix numbers started at 01001E and were at 15000E by years end.

The "INS" stamp is a stamp found on most mid-frame Colt DA revolvers in the 1960's and 70's.
It's an inspector's stamp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts