Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a Diamondback 4" .38 special from late father-in-law. Almost perfect condition but has a nickel sized rust spot on one side of barrel and some rust specs on one side of cylinder. We think it sat on one side in some water during his illness. Rest of gun is immaculate. Should I have this re-blued or does that mess with value?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Re: Re-bluing Diamondback

Since the finish has been damaged versus just honestly worn, I don't think a GOOD re-blue would effect the value.

I recommend sending it to Colt for a factory re-finish.
They can restore it so it looks like the day it left the plant.

For details, see the web site or call.

http://www.coltsmfg.com

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: Re-bluing Diamondback

I agree with dfariswheel, since it is already in that shape, you can't really de-value it any by having the factory reblue it.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Should you decide to have it reblued, definitely go with the Colt factory. I've had them do several, including two Diamondbacks. The price is reasonable, and the work is flawless. I've never had occasion to make such a request, but perhaps, it's feasible to blend and reblue only the barrel, or have the barrel replaced. It doesn't cost anything to ask. 1-800-962-2658

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. Factory re-blue at Colt it is. Thank you for the information, links and phone numbers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have to agree with Colt doing the reblue. I had a Python redone by Colt and couldn't believe the quality of the work.

Also very reasonably priced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts