Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Colt M1917 Cylinder vs Colt New Service

Will a Colt M1917 Cylinder fit a Colt New Service or visa-versa?
My client has a problem cylinder and it may be unsafe. Can I purchase either type cylinder to replace his?
cylinderviewjSM.jpg

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
At a minimum it will have o be hand fitted...dfariswheel should be by shortly with THE answer.flanman

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The Colt m1917 is a 'New Service".

What chambering is the Cylinder you wish to replace?

And, just out of curiosity, what might be unsafe about the existing Cylinder?

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Not a direct answer to your question but may shed some light ---- I needed a cylinder for a 1917 frame which was originally .45ACP. I got a 1909 .45 Colt cylinder which turned out to be too long. I had to deepen the recess in the frame (where the ratchet turns) about .010-15" (my estimate, not measured) to accommodate it. That introduced the problem of the hand sticking out to interfere with closing the cylinder, which I dealt with by dinging the frame so the hand didn't lean out so far. Minor timing issues were dealt with normally. Shoots good. See below --

Final result was saving a gun being parted out.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Indeedy...the 1917 Cylinder is shorter than other New Service Cylinders ( to allow the more generous Head Space for the use of Moon clips with the .45 ACP Cartridges )...and the little 'Lug-thing' ( sorry I do not know the proper name for it! ) on the side of the Frame which limits aft motion of the Cylinder when the Cylinder is open, is wider on the 1917s than it is on other New Services.

If the Revolver is .45 Colt, I would suggest you find a .45 Colt Cylinder to keep the replacement procedure more forthright.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts