Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: DS With shroud...

Spotted a Det. Spl Ser.#8521XX with a hammer shroud. As far as I can tell it seems to have all blue intact with no turn line. A closer view showed the Rampant colt, Bbl. stampings and screws all seem OK, that is deep and sharp, appearantly the original finish.What is the DOB and he is asking $479.00. Fair price or what? Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
188 Posts
www.proofhouse.com shows 1964.

Is the Colt horse stamped on the shroud? An original one should have it.

Doesn't sound like too bad of a price to me if its really all original in LNIB condition, especially if it has the box/papers. Does it have the original box?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn,t ask on the box yet and the horse I mentioned was on the sideplate, I,m going to check it out Sat. Anything else I need to know assumeing there is no box/papers? Brad

·
Registered
188 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Didn,t ask on the box yet and the horse I mentioned was on the sideplate, I,m going to check it out Sat. Anything else I need to know assumeing there is no box/papers? Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my Agent from '76 with factory shroud, the rampant Colt is only on the right side. Also pictured is a Waller and Sons shroud I recently got for a project. Its nearly identical except for no rampant Colt on it. Make sure the one you are looking at has the rampant Colt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
all blue intact with no turn line

[/ QUOTE ]

If the bluing is really that perfect, it seems to conflict with the condition of the grips. They seem to have seen a good bit of wear, especially toward the bottom, if I'm seeing the photo correctly.

So its either been refinished, or those grips came from a different gun, IMHO. Other than that, it looks like a really nice DS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree the grips look aged, however, I examines the Colt with a high power magnifier and there was no dishing of the screw holes, or any swirls or polishing marks and the Colt horse and Bbl. lettering were full. Got me as I'm no expert but it looks original finish. Brad

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If you want it, get it!

The stocks might not be original, but the shroud probably makes up for that.

Pretty good looking DS. You can probably get other stocks off of ebay if you decide to change them.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would use the stocks as a point for haggling. Either they have been changed out or the revolver has been professionally refinished. Did you check for factory marks?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Magic, don't quite follow on factory marks. If factory refinished, do they stamp the frame as so? If so, where and what do I look for? Thanks all for your patience and help. Brad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts