Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Trooper MK III yesterday and while well used, it is in good shape. It does need re-finishing and I know that Colt does it and I have heard of Ford's. Has anyone had their Colt refinished by either Colt or Ford's and are there opinions on which would be better? I just want a factory blue job.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
811 Posts
having been in the "refinishing/restoration " business for many years and now 'retired', all I can tell you is if YOU want "factory" it has to be sent and done by the "factory".
Yes, I have seen quite a bit from Fords and it looks very good, but I have seen some that were "too shiny", may have been "requested" by the customer, who knows???
I would have to "see" what Ford calls "factory' actually setting next to a "factory" gun to compare the jobs, apples to apples......... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
323 Posts
When Horace Booth (Fords) does a 'Master Blue' polish, it's at customer request. There are no remaining factory grinder/polish marks. It's an extra-cost finish.
The standard refinish will replicate a factory finish nicely, and the degree of polish/prep reflects the usual
(lack of) detail used by both Colt and Smith & Wesson.
Nothing like the Master Polish ever left either factory, so if you're looking for an original look, Fords can do a great job by using their standard process.
Don

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I contacted Colt and will be sending it to them for refinishing. Just want to restore it to as new, nothing fancy. But first, I am going to take it out and shoot it tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
811 Posts
Don, thanks for the info as to the "standard" finish. That is good to know, I hate to possibly come across that I may not "like" someones work, but can only go by what I was shown.
You are the "second" person to tell me this is the case and they really liked 'Fords' work. Bottom line is when someone wants "factory", that's it!! Plus the work order (paper work) verifies such) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just sent my Trooper MK III off to Colt for refinishing. It will be about $140 plus shipping and they said it would take about 36 working days. I also found some pristine grips for it so it should look factory new when completed. I shot it before sending it off, and it is a great shooter. I like it better than any of my Smiths.

John

·
Registered
759 Posts
I sent my 1980 Python to Colt last week to be re-nickeled. I hope it's better than the original finish. Colt should be ashamed to have sent that out from the factory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts