Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't believe in re-finishing any gun but I have a question on re-finishing a nickel gun. I've been told that all that's required is stripping off the nickel, give the metal a shine and replate. Nickel guns are the easiest to re-finish and not loose the factory look. The factory nickel on my 1932 DS is in poor condition. Comments?

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
i my opinion,anything but a factory refinish will lessen the value. colt will still refinish a blue gun but i dont know about nickle.ever find stocks for it??

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No stocks yet. I replied to my original post that I'm still looking.

How can I contact Colt's restoration services?

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
1-800-962-colt will get you the switchboard, last time i checked a reblue was 225$, which in my opinion could only be justifed on a collector gun.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks bud. I'll give em a call.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Colt does still accept guns to renickel, and they do magnificent work. I had a Trooper renickeled within the past year, and it came out looking great. I've been told Colt no longer does the actual plating in house, but the work is still top notch and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did your gun come back with a "appearance" of refinish? How did the edges and stamping look? Do they restamp?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
No. It looked as good or better than new. I had it refinished because the nickel was flaking in a few places well isolated from any roll marks, so it required only stripping and minimul polishing. I always send a letter asking them to take extra care not to damage the roll marks and offer to pay extra for hand polishing, if necessary, to preserve the roll marks. So far they have always come through with flying colors and no extra charges.
The conditon of the gun will dictate how much polishing is required, so rust, dings, pitting, scratches, etc. that fall across the roll marks will pretty much guarantee the rollmarks will be thinned, to some degree, to eliminate the metal imperfections. You need to thoroughly evaluate your guns condition to determine whether the end result you desire is a practical possibility. I'm more particular than most, and the Colt shop has never disappointed me.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What was the cost? How about some pics? By the looks of my pic, how will they do with my Rampant colt stamp?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got no help from Colt. I called this phone number and I was told that Colt will not renickel or blue over aluminum. Furthermore, they will not even reblue my Colt pump shotgun. She advised me to contact Pittsburg Gun.

These are not the answer that I expected from Colt.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
must have talked to the janitor, there is no aluminum{sic} on that gun.i would try calling again and asking for the refinish or custom shop.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I asked about 3 guns and one of them is aluminum. I'll call again.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
interested on how you come out, i called less than a yr. ago and they were settin on go if i would send 225$. regards dux /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a hold the same person the second time I called. Her name was Kathy (or Cathy) and she said that they could renickel the DS for $225 baring that nothing else is needed.

I asked about refinishing my Aircrewman. One of them has about 20% finish remaining. The finish is very thin and almost gone. Colt will not touch Alloy guns including the Aircrewman, Courier & Cobra.

I asked about a refinish on my Colt Pump Shotgun (the finish on the barrel is very thin) and she said that they will not refinish the gun due to the age of the gun. It's from the 1950's. I thought this was a strange answer. What does age have to do with anything? Bluing is bluing, there's no 1950's special bluing. She couldn't answer my question but she said that it's company policy. Yet they will refinish my 1932 DS. Very strange.

She advised me to call Pittsburg Handgun for my other needs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts