Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a beautiful engraved 1880 Model 1878 in 45 cal.. It came with these stocks as well as some ivories. I will post pictures soon.

Can any of you tell from the pictures if they are real Pearl? I gave them the hot pin test and they are not plastic.

TIA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The never fail, no Sh** test is rub them on your teeth ( no false ones need apply) if they are smooth they are not real. Real pearls feel griity against the teeth.
Thank you for no sh** test Mike. As the lady in one of the Seinfeld episodes said, "They are real and they are spectacular."

Next question, I received the original very nice set of real Ivories with this 1878. I am going to sell one of them. Would you keep the Pearls or Ivories?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Split the difference - sell one half of the Ivory and one half of the MOP, keeping half-of-each for your present Revolver.

Always worth more when one parts-'em-out!

Lol...

Sorry, just being silly.

If it was me I would keep both sets, and, wait for another nice-enough '78 to put set No. 2 on.

Unless of course, someone here on the Forum really, REALLY needed one or the other, for their Shoe-less '78, in which case, maybe it would be nice to let go one of the pairs.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Very nice elliotf; Some people have all the luck. I say they are real.. Show us the pics..........

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Split the difference - sell one half of the Ivory and one half of the MOP, keeping half-of-each for your present Revolver.

Always worth more when one parts-'em-out!

Lol...

Sorry, just being silly.

If it was me I would keep both sets, and, wait for another nice-enough '78 to put set No. 2 on.

Unless of course, someone here on the Forum really, REALLY needed one or the other, for their Shoe-less '78, in which case, maybe it would be nice to let go one of the pairs.
I agree the best solution so I don't have to take a run at them. really I prefer ivory because pearl is so fragile.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I would keep the pearls on it, as it is stunning wearing those. Fragile does not come into play since it is a display only gun. I would keep them both as I would expect the ivories were what it was shipped with originally. What does the letter say? Definitely keep what is was originally sent with, and the others if you can.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Beautiful Pearl grips !! Always the elegant alternative along with Ivory. I, myself would keep both pair. Finding either of the two in that condition (and for sale), is almost impossible until you've spent a good deal more than you wanted to on something of lesser appeal.

Nice Grips. Congratulations.

Jeff

Reactions: elliotf

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Elliot,

I think the MOPs look better. However, you may want to hold onto both pair. It doesn't hurt to have extra grips, because you never know when you may need them for another gun. One thing is for sure. If you hold onto both sets, they'll only go up in value.

Tim

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.