Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's what I'm looking at. Thanks to help here, I now know I'm looking at 1980 mfg. New Frontier 71/2 .44 special. Gun performs flawlessly. But I'm also looking at one of the weirdest finishes I've ever seen. The frame is case hardened, and the rest of the pistol looks like it has been subjected to a very poor attempt at matching the frame. Think kitchen table blueing done by someone with a bottle of cold blue and a large supply of steel wool available. I mention the steel wool because this gun is smooth and shiney, and actually, the finish is beginning to grow on me. No rust or pitting, just this weird finish. There is also a screw missing from the left side of the backstrap. I've done some searching, and prices seem to be more for the NIB's than anything else. What I'm asking the experts here is if you wanted a shooter as opposed to a collectable shooter, what would get you reaching for your wallet. I'm not fishing for offers. And it won't be showing up in the WTS section or on the auction sights.
Again, I'm sorry for no pictures, but I'm still not set up for it. I realize the lack of pics hinders accurate evaluation, but use your imaginations.

Thanks in advance for time.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
At first I thought it was a gun you were thinking about buying but guess you own it and want to know it's value. Since the market dropped on SAA's, and the New Frontier is less desireable in general, my offer for the gun you discribed if I wanted to buy it would be $700-725. That's because the finish issue would give me much leverage for a lower price. I bought a rebarreled/cylindered 1958 Colt SAA .38 Special for $825 which shows much wear but also that fantastic late 50's quality control. But all that aside and you own the gun already, it sounds like a fine field gun to get lots of future scrathes and holster wear guilt free. It's my favorite caliber and I wish you would post a pic of it. Sounds like the perfect working shooter with a classic pedigree. Not to mention a good candidate for engraving if it shoots great.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I would think $700 would be absolute top end, since I've seen many NIB and LNIB 3rd Gen New Frontiers sell for $900-$1000 recently. I wouldn't be able to help myself if I saw such a gun for $600, but I'd probably have to think long and hard before paying $700.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
I just noticed this gun was made in 1980. The early 80's were touch and go as far as quality goes. Colt had labor and thus quality issues that aren't reflected in all guns but are in my 1982 .44 Special. Fitting and case colors aren't up to par but I still like the gun.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so while walking the gun show aisles, if you spotted this little beauty sitting on the table with a 550.00 tag you'd reach for your wallets?

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
I would want it for less than $700. Have to see the finish to say how much less. It is a desirable caliber. Get a nice Colt re-finish and you still have around a $1000 in it. Lot less the new ones if you can even find one. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
so while walking the gun show aisles, if you spotted this little beauty sitting on the table with a 550.00 tag you'd reach for your wallets?
You bet! Personally, I like blue worn guns more than perfect ones so long as the insides are perft. I'd like to actually see what this thing looks like. But look at it this way. A new Ruber Blackhawk with that lame safe action goes for a little less than $550, most likely. I'd rather have a used Colt for a few bucks more.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
If mechanically sound, absolutely, and I'd do my best to wear it out with use, totally guilt free. I mean, at that price, it would be barely above the cost of a Ruger (which I like, too). At that price, it would be a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks much for the replies. That's what I was looking for. Too many times I find I have to cut a few slices off somebody elses 'Pie in the Sky' pricing on a gun. Usually it comes from know-it-all friends who are throwing out numbers. As we all know, it's only worth what someones willing to pay. That's why I ask for wallet opening prices. While I like pie, I prefer to choose what kind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts