Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple of days, three NIB 22 Colt Diamondbacks sold on GB for some of the highest prices that I have seen. They are: 2.5"-Blue>$2200; 4"-Blue>$1,025; 6"-Blue>$1350. The differentials are about consistant with the market in terms of percentage difference and perceived rarity. The seller did very well with these three guns.

The question I pose is... are these prices an aberation or are they reflective of true market for the 22's?

I know they were very nice collectable specimans (with the box and paperwork), but $2200 for a 2.5" 22. Amazing. These prices for the most part match the pricing of NIB Pythons, and Pythons are THE premium Colt revolver. I guess collectors view the Diamondback's as the recent manufacture premium 22 revolver. I have seen 38's sell for prices approaching $1000. I have to say this is truly amazing.

Do we need to really dig deep for our next NIB diamondbacks?

How do these prices affect dealers who are currently selling them?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
In the last couple of days, three NIB 22 Colt Diamondbacks sold on GB for some of the highest prices that I have seen. They are: 2.5"-Blue>$2200; 4"-Blue>$1,025; 6"-Blue>$1350.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the love affair for the .22 DB's. Note that the .22LR is my most desired caliber in most models. There's many guns out there right now for 1/2 their realistic value (not DB's). It'll be a long time before the buyers can recoup their costs.

I feel that there was shill bidding to drive the DB market higher. I also think the seller still owns the guns. Now prices 10-20% under these values seem reasonable. I've never considered the .22 DB's are rare but their bringing rare values. 6 months ago I passed up a .22 DB 2 1/2 barrel for $1295 because I thought the price was inflated. It wasn't boxed. I have no regrets.

I've said in the past "let the market tell you true value, not the blue book". I'm not listening to the market on these DB's....it's not 'real' value. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The owners of .22 Diamondbacks probably feel they're holding on to Microsoft or Walmart stock. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh my god, we have a bubble. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not so long ago we would have never considered $3.00 to $4.00 gasoline. Now with $3.00 gas (at least around here), we are all of a sudden comfortable with paying more than a dollar above prices of a year ago. Gun inflation? I have no idea about shill bidding. I know it happens, but I don't know how prevalent this kind of thing is.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I don't believe the bubble will ever burst on .22LR Diamondbacks. As you know, they made fewer of these than in .38SPL.
The collector population continues to grow as the "baby boomers" with lots of cash, retire and are looking for something to invest in or collect.
They haven't made a Diamondback in almost twenty years, whereas the Python was still being made until recently. It is not a question of quality comparison, it's a question of availablity and collectablity, or persieved collectablity. That's all it takes to send prices up.
Wait til after the Tulsa gunshow and you will see what the new pricing is going to be.
Once all the good examples of DBs end up in collections, the prices are going to hang in there. If you have lots of DBs in your collection, just hang on to them, you won't be sorry.
As the smart collectors say "You didn't pay too much for the gun, you just bought it too soon".

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Addicted,
I guess from all your comments about "the Colt bubble" bursting that you have not read Corky Ullom's article in the Spring 2005 issue of the CCA Rampant Colt magazine??? The article is too long to quote here, but it is written from a financial advisor's perspective. The article focuses on the performance of Colts in relation to the S&P 500. Various studies done by New YorK University's Stern School of Business and Forbes Magazine, and other noted financial groups compared the performance of art (with one of its six sub-catagories being "weapons and firearms") to the S&P 500. The Forbes study asked the question of how antique guns compared to other types of art.

The interesting results of these studies showed that over the period 1995 to 1999 (before the 9/11 crash) Colts consistantly out performed the S&P 500. During the last three years, Colts out performed the the S&P 500 by 18.2%!!

Ullom made three points at the end of the article:
1) Collecting Colts is the premier catagory of art collecting today, in investment performance.
2) Colts have consistantly matched and out performed the S&P 500.
3) Colts are one of the most stable areas of collecting with virtually no significant drop in value even in turbulent economic times.

Don't liquidate your retirement funds, but financial advisers recommend up to 15% of your portfolio be invested in "art".

Also remember that if Colt's "bubble bursts" the market will probably be "breaking" too... You should go back and read that issue of the CCA Magazine... Bob Best

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Bob, I have not seen the article and thanks for sharing the information. Understand that I have NO snakes so it's difficult for me to justify the pricing shown above. I would never pay that pricing even if the $$'s were falling out of my pocket.

At the last Tulsa Gun Show there were several Banker Specials all in .38's. I asked around for a BS in a .22LR and the reply was "they all ask that". The purchase of the Boxed .22LR BS was my first BIG purchase at $2000. With so few around I could probably get what ever I ask for it. JudgeColt had to talk me into the purchase and now I'm glad he did. That said, I frequently see DB's in the .22 caliber for sale. Those snake guys must be rich. I'll stay on the sidelines and watch the prices go up.

I do track my guns and non-gun items in a Excel spreadsheet. I agree with the increase in wealth as quoted from the magazine if not more. I've been "collecting" for only 4 years (but a gun owner for 40 years) and not until the last several months have I become more patient in my purchases. Only buying 'deals' and there's a lot of em out there....all Colts. I hope to steal another one today. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
I can pick up a 6" blue right now for $800.00, 99% new, early "R" series s/n w/original box. This has been discussed time and again. Lots of people taking advantage of the uneducated buyer's market. I do agree about Colt's as an investment, but the people who are paying the outrageous prices will not reap any financial reward for a long time.

Here's a quote from Jeff that I firmly agree with:

"The days of finding good deals on auction sites still exist for those willing to put the time in to find them. Yes, you need to be savy enough to find these hidden treasures and it takes time & brains to do it. I know, because I still find them and I enjoy the hunt."

·
Registered
87 Posts
Geez, I wonder what I could get for my NIB 1 0f 500 .22 Diamondback!! I really wanted just a regular version but when I found this just a few years back that had the wood presentation box,etc. and the price wasn't that much beyond what I expected to pay for a NIB regular gun, I grabbed it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Geez, I wonder what I could get for my NIB 1 0f 500 .22 Diamondback!!

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you come up with a production number of 500? What barrel length?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Addicted,
I don't collect "snakes" either... I was merely commenting on the overall performance of collector grade Colts in relation to other areas where people put their money for investment purposes... No different than people taking financial classes to be able to pick a good stock... Colts have a proven track record that few people including a lot of collectors are aware of... I have three areas that I acquire guns for. Shooters, my theme collection and investment guns (aka safe queens) that keep appreciating in value. When the stocks go all to hell, at least I have the guns! :) Bob Best

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a quote from Jeff that I firmly agree with:

"The days of finding good deals on auction sites still exist for those willing to put the time in to find them. Yes, you need to be savy enough to find these hidden treasures and it takes time & brains to do it. I know, because I still find them and I enjoy the hunt."

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff's a smart man and I concure with his quote. I think the key is don't get in a hurry to purchase. "don't go to the gun, let the gun come to you." I've been looking for 2 years for a early Colt AR-15 and today it came to me. A 4 digit 2nd year at a very reasonable price. I hope someday I can trade it in for a 1st "green furniture" model in the 2-3 digits.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I think the key is don't get in a hurry to purchase. "don't go to the gun, let the gun come to you."

[/ QUOTE ]

Nail on the head !!!

It's just like that in any type of collecting.
If you are patient, you will find what you want at a price that you will agree to. If you are one of those "I must have it now people" you are gonna most likely pay the piper.

This can be good & bad all in one.
If people know what you are looking for, or specialize in, dealers/sellers will put those items on the side for you. (Especially if you get a good reputation as a good buyer)
This way you get first shot at those items. That is the good part.
The bad part is, you may get hit with a price premium if that party selling the item knows you really want it.
I personally would like first chance to buy & a price premium than being 2nd or 3rd in line.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
991 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I personally would like first chance to buy & a price premium than being 2nd or 3rd in line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I can't stress enough how important it is to establishing a good dealer relationship. I have good relationships with some very excellent, fair or moderate priced dealers that know what I like to collect. They actually call my home to tell me about new inventory I might be interested in. The only problem is keeping some money stashed and ready for the call!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know how many they actually made,but the gun is marked as such.It has some gold work/etched engraving.(Coiled rattler/rampant colt,scrolls,etc) It is a six incher,with the box, and a nice French fit case.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Manderson,
I agree with your quote from "Jeff"... I certainly do enjoy the hunt for new variations. As I mentioned in my reply to Addicted, the material I presented was for information on collector Colts performance as an investment. I have been collecting for about 40 years now and can remember when good single actions could be had for $100. I did buy some and put them away. Now that I am retired I sell some from time to time to finance my current collecting theme... In 40 years you may look back on this and say "Boy I wish I had bought more of those $1000 D-backs" I know I have said that many times about the $100 Single Actions!!! Happy collecting! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Camster,

Sounds like a beautty! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Any chance of you posting a few pictures so we can get green with envy? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Camster: You already know this (and for the benefit of others); Colt introduced a 1 in 500 serialized series of 6" Blue 22LR Diamondbacks (Diamondback Special Edition) in July 1979. I saw one listed a while back for sale. They were etched and as you said in a nice box. Congratulations on having a very nice gun! These are not commemorative guns.

Keep it looking pretty and you won't be sorry!

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Addicted, tell me more about an early AR-15 with green furniture. My three-digit AR-15 has black furniture. Are you sure you have not confused the Blue Book reference to Green Label boxes on early reinforced lower receiver models, which came LONG after (mid-1980s as I recall) the AR-15 was introduced in 1964?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'll try to find the web page again. I saw a 3 digit that claimed to have 'green' furniture. I'll post it when I find it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts