Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Thanks. The barrel has been polished and reblued based on that picture, probably the entire gun (cylinder looks ‘soft also).

Not trying to be harsh, just giving you straight info as I can tell.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Those were a typical police issue for many years. The predecessor to this gun was called the "Army Special" but the name was changed to "Police Special" in 1927 because of it's popularity with police agencies. As the box says, it is chambered for the 38 Special cartridge. There are lots of these around so prices tend to be pretty modest but even so it should be worth somewhere in the $300-$500 range. The lower end if it has been reblued and the upper end if it is still wearing it's original finish. A quick look thru Gunbroker will help give you a better idea of the price. I think these guns were originally chambered for 38 Special, 32 WCF (32-20) and in .22 rimfire. These are a good quality gun built on what is known as the Colt .41 frame. They were available in 4" as well as 6: bbls. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
if You give us the serial number, we can tell you the year of manufacture. Its a post WW2 official Police in 38 special. 6” barrel. If the box is original to the gun, it’s late 40’s to mid fifties. The left side of the barrel was sanded or polished so much it removed the lettering from that side of which would have said.….Official Police….38 special. All post war official police 6” 38 special have the heavier target barrel.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sir...seems everyone else has beaten me and added all that I know about your firearm.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,548 Posts
To be clear, you have a post WWII Colt Official Police revolver.
Here's some general information on the Official Police model...........

The rubber grips of that type were used on 1980's to early 1990's Colt Python revolvers, this set being from Colt's 150th Anniversary, year so they are not original to the gun.
The correct grips would likely have been the post-war Colt "Coltwood" brown plastic grips used during that period.

If you open the cylinder and look under the barrel you'll see the serial number. You can find out the year it was shipped from Colt by using the factory serial number look up........

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The predecessor to this gun was called the "Army Special" but the name was changed to "Police Special" in 1927 . . .
Just to clarify, the Army Special became the Official Police. To my knowleedge, Colt's never made a revolver called a "Police Special." The smaller frame revolvers were the Police Positive and Police Positive Special, the last one of which is close.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Just to clarify, the Army Special became the Official Police. To my knowleedge, Colt's never made a revolver called a "Police Special." The smaller frame revolvers were the Police Positive and Police Positive Special, the last one of which is close.
My bad, the typing fingers got ahead of the brain! Official Police it is!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.