Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My niece has a friend who's a realtor busy selling houses.
Not well known, but working as a realtor for a female can be a risky business these days.
There have been cases where a female has gone to show an empty house and been robbed, raped, and murdered.
So, my niece asked me to build her friend a shoulder holster for her gun.

This was a bit of a challenge because I've never been called on to make any holster for one of these hammer-less S&W revolvers.
This one is a S&W 642.

I started out to do a "Snatch" type holster retention that uses pull-through straps, but thought that the holster might better be more secure for a non-expert user, so I went with a standard thumb break.

I didn't use an extremely close detail molding around all the features so as to present a "softer" holster that would conceal better under a woman's light dress jacket.
The molding is tightly molded enough around to help retain the gun and the trigger guard welt is two layers of leather tapering to one layer at the bottom.
It fits closely around the trigger guard to prevent it from slipping out accidentally but gives a fast draw when needed.

I built a drop pouch cartridge carrier to help balance the gun, and on request I used 1 1/2 inch white nylon for the harness so it's wouldn't show when worn over a white dress blouse.
I did a light dye of Saddle Tan and used no finish on the edges other then to burnish with Gum Tragacanth to prevent a heavier dye from rubbing off and staining a nice blouse.
I finished it with a sprayed-on coat of Resolene.

I'm going to write up an instruction letter detailing how to adjust the harness to position the gun and to keep the harness connector down off her neck.
Hopefully this will make her feel safer in what turns out to be an unexpectedly hazardous profession.
S&W 642.JPG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Awesome job! I’m impressed! Way to go to help her feel more safe while she’s doing her job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks......

As Red Nichols said, "Anyone can run a stitching seam, but a good holster is all in the design".
You can't really make something you don't "understand" which is why I never made any horse leather goods or purses, never having ridden a horse or carried a purse...:)

I do understand guns so I concentrated on the design of holsters.
Very soon after beginning to make holsters back in the mid-60's I stopped doing fancy carving of holsters.
I feel that may weaken a holster and I'm a minimalist.... Simpler is better.
So I gave away the carving tools and only kept a basket weave stamping tool, which I almost never use.
Now days I only do leather work for myself or family, and this one time to help a fried of family.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts