Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Folks:

Since we are all bound together by our love of things firearms I thought this would be a good venue to share a recent event and see if anyone else has had this experience.

A couple of days back I was on another forum and was involved in a discussion about the recent spate of shootings. As we all know events like this tend to make temperatures rise but I read through the thread and heard a lot of intelligent thoughts mixed in with some of the usual pedestrian tripe. Now I should share that my own nature, when faced with a situation is to jump in and see how things should be remedied. Personally, IMVVHO if there is to be any sort of remedy to the current gun debate it will probably come from the gun community itself but that's just my opinion. The reason I am writing is that I found myself banned the next day and wonder where I made the wrong turn. My own thought was that I was among intelligent, mature folks who were interested in an informative discussion without the usual fireworks. Have we gotten to a place in our community where challenges to gun ownership cannot be discussed in a level-headed manner? Was I expecting too much or being naive? Just wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
"Have we gotten to a place in our community where challenges to gun ownership cannot be discussed in a level-headed manner? Was I expecting too much or being naive? Just wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience? Thoughts?"

Yes to the questions - I don't want to get banned so I will keep my thoughts to myself.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
The ban hammer will be in the loaded position shortly.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Actually, it’s quite simple.... I’m pleased that this Forum is one place where we can stick to the topic of Colt guns and not politics. Our Forum has explicit rules as outlined by the Administrators...
Gents , it's finally come to this > Politics =...

Other sites have previously been shared where one can expound on politics to their heart’s content...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Actually, it’s quite simple.... I’m pleased that this Forum is one place where we can stick to the topic of Colt guns and not politics. Our Forum has explicit rules as outlined by the Administrators...
Gents , it's finally come to this > Politics =...

Other sites have previously been shared where one can expound on politics to their heart’s content...
I can understand that, but isn't that why we have many different sub forums? If you want to strictly talk Colt, we have places for that. I thought "The Lounge" is a place to talk things outside of SAA's and Pythons and discuss other very important things like the state of politics.

Are we becoming the very snowflakes and cancellers that we so despise lately?

·
Administrator
7,263 Posts
"Have we gotten to a place in our community where challenges to gun ownership cannot be discussed in a level-headed manner? Was I expecting too much or being naive? Just wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience? Thoughts?"

Yes to the questions - I don't want to get banned so I will keep my thoughts to myself.
It takes some doing to get banned here .

We have members here from both sides of the aisle and they don't take to getting insulted . The problem is that no amount of "discussion" is going to change most member's position on 2nd Amendment topics . Past experience shows that it will quickly degrade into name calling of a specific political party and then thread closure . They can get arguing and name calling almost anywhere else .

·
Administrator
7,263 Posts
I can understand that, but isn't that why we have many different sub forums? If you want to strictly talk Colt, we have places for that. I thought "The Lounge" is a place to talk things outside of SAA's and Pythons and discuss other very important things like the state of politics.

Are we becoming the very snowflakes and cancellers that we so despise lately?
The no politics rule was implemented 10 yrs before you joined . If that makes me a snowflake , so be it .

·
Registered
418 Posts
I for one am glad to have a politics free gun forum. I get sick of politics infecting every aspect of life. No one is going to change any minds, there will just be arguments, division, tribes, and eventually the mob will push the rest out...that's kind of the way it goes with gun forums. So I'm glad this forum isn't going to play that game.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Different forums and different rules, I wouldn't be mad i got banned. I would see it as i didn't fit in and that's nothing to be worried about.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
The no politics rule was implemented 10 yrs before you joined .
So let's change the rules and let members discuss firearms politics. Seeing threads get closed for this is why I don't participate in ColtForum as often as I used to.

·
Registered
418 Posts
So let's change the rules and let members discuss firearms politics. Seeing threads get closed for this is why I don't participate in ColtForum as often as I used to.
Then don't partcipate...go find a forum that wants to talk politics...there's a gazillion of them.

As soon as you open up politics on a gun forum, lines are drawn, tribes are formed, and then they push out all the rational people for not believing exactly the same things the dominate tribe believes. Then it starts attracting more extremists and next thing you know the Colt Forum is the Colt Stormfront forum. I can list several forums where exactly this has happened. Maybe you'd find them welcoming.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Screw politics.

I will talk about my experiences as it relates to shootings and 2 amendment. I do not carry. I've never felt a need to do so. Recently when I was getting my nails done in Beverly Hills, go ahead and laugh thinking 6'3 250 with three Vietnamese women massaging me, laughing and let that one sink in. Plus my beautiful younger girlfriend at home usually does the job for me - she manages the engraved part of my collection FTR..

Back to the subject when my Vietnamese women we laughing two blocks away there was a watch thief with gun fire at my favorite local restaurant Il Pastaio in Beverly Hills, The last thing I want to get involved in is a shooting. Nevertheless, had I been there and carrying, there is a good chance I would have shot all three of the thieves or at the least the one with the gun. I am that confident in my tactical skills given practice and training. This is the last thing I want to experience in my life and one of the reasons I do not conceal carry. My nature would have made the situation worst. The second I have an older downs brother in a confused state many years ago who climbed in a neighbors window thinking he was going home. Had the neighbor been the aggressive type a trigger might have been pulled.

There are many ways of looking at this forgetting the politics.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.