Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Registered
Screw politics.

I will talk about my experiences as it relates to shootings and 2 amendment. I do not carry. I've never felt a need to do so. Recently when I was getting my nails done in Beverly Hills, go ahead and laugh thinking 6'3 250 with three Vietnamese women massaging me, laughing and let that one sink in. Plus my beautiful younger girlfriend at home usually does the job for me - she manages the engraved part of my collection FTR..

Back to the subject when my Vietnamese women we laughing two blocks away there was a watch thief with gun fire at my favorite local restaurant Il Pastaio in Beverly Hills, The last thing I want to get involved in is a shooting. Nevertheless, had I been there and carrying, there is a good chance I would have shot all three of the thieves or at the least the one with the gun. I am that confident in my tactical skills given practice and training. This is the last thing I want to experience in my life and one of the reasons I do not conceal carry. My nature would have made the situation worst. The second I have an older downs brother in a confused state many years ago who climbed in a neighbors window thinking he was going home. Had the neighbor been the aggressive type a trigger might have been pulled.

There are many ways of looking at this forgetting the politics.
The first question someone who is carrying should ask is...Will my involvement make things better or worse? If someone is just knocking off a business for money, relax...that business has insurance. The ONLY time a concealed carrier should ever involve himself/herself in the situation is when they are convinced beyond a reasonable doubt someone is about to kill another human being.

In many states it's legal to intervene for property...I think that's somethin a really DUMB person would do...I sure the hell wouldn't. I don't own anything worth someone's life... And 90% of what I do own, wouldn't cover the cost of an attorney in a self defense case.

Registered
Just an observation of a guy who has decades of experience on forums. All forums, across all lines of interest groups, you name it.

Don't talk about one forum on another forum.

Talk of what goes on "over there" is just thinly veiled whining and bellyaching. Getting banned probably does sting...I get it.

The problem is that all support ginned up here cuts no mustard there....does it?

Registered
I don't understand why or how it is gratifying to discuss politics on the internet with strangers. So, I don't understand why people get bu** hurt when they can't.
Unfortunately politics is rarely "discussed" anymore. It quickly devolves into an argument involving name-calling and accusations, even among friends. The anonymity of the internet makes that even easier among a room (forum) of strangers.
If we are voting...my vote is to keep it off this forum. Like others have said, there are literally thousands of other places that allow and encourage political "discussions."

Registered
Life is too short to discuss it
We have so many great things to talk about here
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Registered
Screw politics.

I will talk about my experiences as it relates to shootings and 2 amendment. I do not carry. I've never felt a need to do so. Recently when I was getting my nails done in Beverly Hills, go ahead and laugh thinking 6'3 250 with three Vietnamese women massaging me, laughing and let that one sink in. Plus my beautiful younger girlfriend at home usually does the job for me - she manages the engraved part of my collection FTR..

Back to the subject when my Vietnamese women we laughing two blocks away there was a watch thief with gun fire at my favorite local restaurant Il Pastaio in Beverly Hills, The last thing I want to get involved in is a shooting. Nevertheless, had I been there and carrying, there is a good chance I would have shot all three of the thieves or at the least the one with the gun. I am that confident in my tactical skills given practice and training. This is the last thing I want to experience in my life and one of the reasons I do not conceal carry. My nature would have made the situation worst. The second I have an older downs brother in a confused state many years ago who climbed in a neighbors window thinking he was going home. Had the neighbor been the aggressive type a trigger might have been pulled.

There are many ways of looking at this forgetting the politics.
What if the thieves broke into the beauty salon you were in with the intent to murder you? THAT's why people carry guns. I'd rather have a firearm than a nail file.

Your story is simply anecdotal and doesn't address an actual situation in which you actually would have needed a gun.

"This is the last thing I want to experience in my life and one of the reasons I do not conceal carry" --- Well no SH*T! No one WANTS to be involved in a situation like that. Normally those situations choose you, instead of the other way around! Just because you leave your gun at home doesn't guarantee you won't need it to save your life!

Registered
Sadly these days, politics is just poison. I have had to say goodbye to two LONG time friends (one was my oldest friend) over politics and conspiracies. I just couldn't take it anymore...and we would still be friends if they would just leave it alone and talk about something else; but they couldn't do that.

So if friends of 40+ years can't pull it off, people on an internet forum aren't going to do any better; and are likely to do much worse.

Dudes, we have tons of cool guns and cool Colt's to talk about...why mess up a good thing?

Premium Member
There seem to be plenty of venues where you can discuss politics. This forum does NOT need to be one of them.

As gun enthusiasts, we have to accept the fact that our chosen area of interest is unusually volatile, for a couple of reasons:

It is by definition political, from the word go, for historical and constitutional reasons. And people are emotionally involved to a higher degree because rights, fears, protection from dangers real or imagined, and such are involved. The stakes are higher. I doubt that hobby gardeners and stamp collectors have that level of intensity in their discussion forums.

The result is that political discussions in gun forums (I鈥檓 part of a few that allow them) always end up unpleasant. Generally, people aren鈥檛 looking for a real discussion, that is, an exchange of different and opposing viewpoints. Instead, they want confirmation and support for their opinions, anger, fear, and often misinformation. If they don鈥檛 get that, it gets nasty.

We don鈥檛 need that here.

Registered
There seem to be plenty of venues where you can discuss politics. This forum does NOT need to be one of them.

As gun enthusiasts, we have to accept the fact that our chosen area of interest is unusually volatile, for a couple of reasons:

It is by definition political, from the word go, for historical and constitutional reasons. And people are emotionally involved to a higher degree because rights, fears, protection from dangers real or imagined, and such are involved. The stakes are higher. I doubt that hobby gardeners and stamp collectors have that level of intensity in their discussion forums.

The result is that political discussions in gun forums (I鈥檓 part of a few that allow them) always end up unpleasant. Generally, people aren鈥檛 looking for a real discussion, that is, an exchange of different and opposing viewpoints. Instead, they want confirmation and support for their opinions, anger, fear, and often misinformation. If they don鈥檛 get that, it gets nasty.

We don鈥檛 need that here.
Again, I don't care. I don't really have a dog in this fight. But, if someone gets upset on a message board, WHO CARES? What's the big deal? Don't reply to the thread, don't look at it, etc.

What is it hurting? It's just a digital collection of words from random people. People who get something from partaking in it can partake...otherwise the rest won't and they'll go to the gun-only sections.

What am I missing? Why are we so sensitive? If we can't even talk pro-gun politics on gun boards, what are we doing as a pro 2A community to help ourselves?? I swear that these threads seem like something you'd see on Mother Jones or the Huffington Post instead of a GUN BOARD.

It's wild.

Banned
So let's change the rules and let members discuss firearms politics. Seeing threads get closed for this is why I don't participate in ColtForum as often as I used to.
I agree with this, a lot of us don't jump from forum to forum discussing here and there about this and that. It would be nice to have one community to discuss about these thing. I don't think we should just go along and act like all the politics out there concerning firearms does not concern us.

Registered
Again, I don't care. I don't really have a dog in this fight. But, if someone gets upset on a message board, WHO CARES? What's the big deal? Don't reply to the thread, don't look at it, etc.

What is it hurting? It's just a digital collection of words from random people. People who get something from partaking in it can partake...otherwise the rest won't and they'll go to the gun-only sections.

What am I missing? Why are we so sensitive? If we can't even talk pro-gun politics on gun boards, what are we doing as a pro 2A community to help ourselves?? I swear that these threads seem like something you'd see on Mother Jones or the Huffington Post instead of a GUN BOARD.

It's wild.
Well---go somewhere else then. Not done here. Mitch must be busy today because he is letting this one run longer than usual. This is just about the last place left (firearms boards) that is not polluted with politics.

Registered
Well---go somewhere else then. Not done here. Mitch must be busy today because he is letting this one run longer than usual. This is just about the last place left (firearms boards) that is not polluted with politics.
Nice and friendly. "get off my lawn."

Maybe you misunderstood or whatever: just like you mentioned, most gun boards have a Politics section. They keep that discussion confined there and moderate it everywhere else. You never have to click that big bad politics link if you don't want to. That's why sub-forums were invented 30 years ago.

Registered
Well, now.....this thread is slewin' all over the plaxce, so, I believe I will slide on over into the barricad myself........

Have a taste of some type II model Ms. 3 of 'em are .32s, and there's a .380 in there, too.*

Political preference/argument need not occupy bandwith on this site.
Personal preferences, in terms of how any free citizen chooses to exercise his IIA God-given right to self preservation, is just that: personal preference. It sort of goes with the basic theme of this site, and gun culture in general.
Fundamental beliefs can and must vary, if there is any such thing as freedom and liberty.
So, rather than bicker and whine about what is what, instead, just be grateful for the lives we live and the choices we have.
I sure as hell have no desire to attempt to convince anyone of anything beyond their own ability to distinguish right and wrong.
This statement is neither political, nor religious.
If I have rubbed up against the guardrail, then I apologize.
This place is the most satisfying and informative gun forum I go to, and ought to remain unblemished by unnecessary, irrelevant controversy.
Rant over.
Colt Forum Forever!
HooRah!

* note the clever insertion of specific firearms related content.
This is, after all, what this place is all about.......

Registered
Some forums have a "NSFW" or "Anything Goes" sub-forum...and many of them have become sewers. It creates an atmosphere of hard feelings and personal attacks. I see no need to allow that to happen here.

Registered
Nice and friendly. "get off my lawn."

Maybe you misunderstood or whatever: just like you mentioned, most gun boards have a Politics section. They keep that discussion confined there and moderate it everywhere else. You never have to click that big bad politics link if you don't want to. That's why sub-forums were invented 30 years ago.
Understand Completely... What part of it is not done, nor will it happen here (one can only hope) is so hard to understand? You keep repeating the same thing over and over thinking something is going to change.

Registered
We all need less politics and more talk about these great firearms and help those in need of advice and parts
So many things in life are valuable
Bickering politics is not in the top million things to do
God Bless,John
Keep this forum free of all of it

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Registered
Sorry, not in favor of changing the rules. Get beat to death with politics everywhere else, enjoy not having to hear it here. Seen too many keyboard commandos with attitude problems that use the anonymity to just be obnoxious. The only in that area of the forum thought doesn't work. The trolls will jump into any thread and ruin the site. Seen that too many times.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.