Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Paracord,

You missed the whole point - carrying is a choice. One I made for myself as explained. No, I do expect anyone will come into the a nail salon in Bev Hills and start shooting people. I don't live in a space where someone wants to murder me either thank you very much. Thus far in life the problem has not come up and I don't expect it will without some notice. Anecdotal? Yes it is based on my experience; however where are is the research and facts saying a person needs to carry a firearm to be safe in this country? Fact is carrying is a choice not a requirement to survive or make it through the day safely as standard practice. If someone feels the need to carry I completely support it. The other side - there are no absolute guarantees in life having a firearm will save my life either.

What if the thieves broke into the beauty salon you were in with the intent to murder you? THAT's why people carry guns. I'd rather have a firearm than a nail file.

Your story is simply anecdotal and doesn't address an actual situation in which you actually would have needed a gun.

"This is the last thing I want to experience in my life and one of the reasons I do not conceal carry" --- Well no SH*T! No one WANTS to be involved in a situation like that. Normally those situations choose you, instead of the other way around! Just because you leave your gun at home doesn't guarantee you won't need it to save your life!

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Let the arguments...begin! See why we don't have these topics? Defensive use, carry, and deadly force in general are heavy topics. Adding politics to allow or disallow those just makes it even more subjective. This is a Colt collectors forum, for the most part. Shooting, gunsmithing them too. That's about all it needs to be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Again, I don't care. I don't really have a dog in this fight. But, if someone gets upset on a message board, WHO CARES? What's the big deal? Don't reply to the thread, don't look at it, etc.

What is it hurting? It's just a digital collection of words from random people. People who get something from partaking in it can partake...otherwise the rest won't and they'll go to the gun-only sections.

What am I missing? Why are we so sensitive? If we can't even talk pro-gun politics on gun boards, what are we doing as a pro 2A community to help ourselves?? I swear that these threads seem like something you'd see on Mother Jones or the Huffington Post instead of a GUN BOARD.

Awful lot said for not caring. I come here to get away from the circus. Not as easy as just passing the thread by. Once politics get in it is like cancer, it gets into every corner until it consumes the whole board. Then where do you go.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Awful lot said for not caring. I come here to get away from the circus. Not as easy as just passing the thread by. Once politics get in it is like cancer, it gets into every corner until it consumes the whole board. Then where do you go.
Okay more drama I guess. There are countless boards out there (I know I know, "go join them") that have a POLITICS section. Things don't "creep" into any other areas of those places.

The world doesn't explode when a thread with some passionate banter appears. Boys and girls can choose to not click on it.

And like it or not, politics affects all of us. Our ability to enjoy Colt firearms is constantly being attacked. If you can't talk about this on a gun forum, I don't think that's a good use of resources. You can stick your head in the sand, but that won't make it all go away, and we should be using our bandwidth to try to make some small difference, if possible.

And wouldn't it be a lot easier job for the forum nanny to not have to scrub every mention of current events from threads? Yeesh. I understand your viewpoint as well, I just can't believe that many of your can't understand the large amount of people here who talk about current events in the "Lounge."

·
Registered
156 Posts
Paracord,

You missed the whole point - carrying is a choice. One I made for myself as explained. No, I do expect anyone will come into the a nail salon in Bev Hills and start shooting people. I don't live in a space where someone wants to murder me either thank you very much. Thus far in life the problem has not come up and I don't expect it will without some notice. Anecdotal? Yes it is based on my experience; however where are is the research and facts saying a person needs to carry a firearm to be safe in this country? Fact is carrying is a choice not a requirement to survive or make it through the day safely as standard practice. If someone feels the need to carry I completely support it. The other side - there are no absolute guarantees in life having a firearm will save my life either.
and I think you missed my point.

You acted like simply choosing to not carry is going to guarantee you won't be in a situation where you need it. I simply said that is not true.

Also "I don't live in a space where someone wants to murder me." You just got done explaining how you watched armed thieves knock over a jewelry store across the street! That's what I was replying to. Are you saying no one ever gets murdered or needs self defense in Beverly Hills? HUH????

I never said one needs to carry a firearm to "be safe" in this country. I just simply said MANY people do, including cops, presidents, celebrities, etc. I'm not quite sure why you'd act shocked about that. We're on a gun forum. I'll bet a whole lot of people here carry. This is like going to a starbucks forum and being surprised people espouse the benefits of drinking coffee.

Yes, there are no guarantees in life. NO KIDDING! I also never said there was.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
There is value leaving the politics behind and at the same time sharing opinions even anecdotal. The subject of carrying is an important community issue and choice. If it is not discussed here between those of use who should be experts where else? We are Colt shooters and collectors. We are also firearms owners and supporters. I mentioned my choice is not carrying, more specifically on a daily basis and how I feel about it as it pertains to me no one else. For those of you who carry daily this too is your choice. When it comes to the forum the important thing even in a state of disagreement, we should respectful of others and light slight and polite. Over the years within this focus I have made a group of close friend who I see regularly at places like the Tulsa Gun Show (Yeah I am talking about you Radical) and the Colt Collectors annual meeting. It in no longer just a random series of statements for the invisible abyss of unknown. I can put a face to The Colt Guy and many others. Those that have help me be a better gun owner and collector.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Speaking for myself only...
(global statement, not singling anyone out)

• I don't care about your politics
  • I don't want to hear about your politics
  • I don't care if you're some kind of victim
  • I don't want to hear the names Joe Biden or Donald Trump here (I hear them WAY too much as it is)
  • I don't give a crap about your conspiracies.
  • I can find 2nd Amendment information and discussion all over the place if that's what I want
  • I don't care about your opinions on the 2nd Amendment
  • Politics on gun forums are poison because so many gun people lean to extremes in politics
  • Politics NEVER stays in the politics only threads, it always leaks into other threads and infects the whole forum
  • No people don't act like adults when politics is introduced, so the theory it can be moderated has about as much validity as 5G being the cause of COVID.
  • I'm not so insecure that I need reaffirmation of my belief everywhere I go.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Paracord,

I never stated not carrying is a guarantee - I said it is a choice - a personal choice.

I also talked about getting pampered in Beverly Hills by three women - the statement albeit true was intended as comic relief. You clearly missed the humor..

I did say there was a robbery - I was nearby when three men stole a watch, more specifically a struggle went down at a local restaurant and a gun went off grazing a women while i was in the neighborhood. No, I didn't say no one gets murdered or needs self defense. I stated at the moment no one is hunting me down and if this is incorrect and someone is, they better have a gun to keep things equal. I am fully capable of taking care of myself unarmed and this is good enough for me given how I live. Again to be very clear - this is a choice.

I am not so sure why you are thinking I am "shocked" people carry. In addition I was very clear I support those who do even if they are not LEO.

QUOTE="paracord, post: 3279834, member: 53761"]
and I think you missed my point.

You acted like simply choosing to not carry is going to guarantee you won't be in a situation where you need it. I simply said that is not true.

Also "I don't live in a space where someone wants to murder me." You just got done explaining how you watched armed thieves knock over a jewelry store across the street! That's what I was replying to. Are you saying no one ever gets murdered or needs self defense in Beverly Hills? HUH????

I never said one needs to carry a firearm to "be safe" in this country. I just simply said MANY people do, including cops, presidents, celebrities, etc. I'm not quite sure why you'd act shocked about that. We're on a gun forum. I'll bet a whole lot of people here carry. This is like going to a starbucks forum and being surprised people espouse the benefits of drinking coffee.

Yes, there are no guarantees in life. NO KIDDING! I also never said there was.
[/QUOTE]

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.