Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a 1911 tuning/GSing kit, but one that actually has all you need, and NOT with an exhorbitant mark up.. Anyone have a suggestion who might be selling these kits? Thank you!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,876 Posts
Assuming you mean a gunsmithing kit with all the tools needed, only Brownell's seem to offer one, and even it may have things you don't need, and missing something you do.

1911 armorers kit at Brownells

Note that these are "Armorers" kits, not necessarily GUNSMITH kits.
An armorer is someone who does basic small repairs and parts installation in guns to keep them working. For more extensive work, the armorer sends the gun to a real gunsmith.

I've never seen a kit that has everything, like hammer and sear stoning fixtures, the special stones, slide tightening equipment, trigger stirrup dies, frame holding fixtures, sight dovetail and other special purpose milling machine cutting tools, etc.

You can buy the basic kit I linked to above, but most 1911 gunsmiths buy individual tools that they actually need. If you're not going to be doing some types of work, you really don't need to spend money on tooling you'll never use.

My suggestion is to get the Brownell's catalog. This has most everything they sell and they refund the price. This is just faster and easier to find what you need then using the internet site. The site is good for finding the most current additions and availability of tools.
Another option is to get the free 1911-specific small catalog. These have only items for the 1911 pistol.\

Main catalog:

World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells

1911-only free small catalog:

Brownells Catalog | World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the info, but yeah, looking to replace a suite of smithing tools stolen during move- took years to build the tool collection- short of the machine shop CNC machine- I was full up and running creating some beautiful customs and combat/competition pieces.. I'm familiar with the armorers kits out there- I'm after a small shop set, basically. Ah well- start buying onsie, twosie again...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts