Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Seems like Ive seen the Stanhope name before. What is a .32 rifle cartridge ? I cant think of one short enough to go in a SAA cylinder.

·
Premium Member
18,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like Ive seen the Stanhope name before. What is a .32 rifle cartridge ? I cant think of one short enough to go in a SAA cylinder.
I have also seen that name before, but I can't remember the source. There were several Stanhope families in Virginia and I guess a few of them migrated to Texas. I Googled that name with Paris TX and did not get any hits. The .32 Rifle Cartridge is 32-20 (32 WCF), but it seemed odd that it was written that way in the Colt Archive letter. There were not many Colt SAA's manufactured in 32 WCF before this time period. The gun even has the very small 32 cal stamped on the trigger guard.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have a 38WCF SAA that was sent to R Stanhope, Paris TX in 1890. I've posted the picture here along with as much info. as I could find about Stanhope.
He owned a gun shop in Paris TX, and a number of guns used in the Lincoln County War were purchased from him.
Mine has a SN that falls into the time frame of the conflict, but cannot find any verification it was used.
Nice find.

·
Registered
181 Posts
According to Don Wilkerson, in his book, "The Official record of the Colt SAA 1873-1895", Russell Stanhope received a total of 49 BP revolvers with the first shipment being August 8, 1888 and the last shipment was May 5, 1892. A few of the Johnson County War Colts were shipped to Stanhope, the closest one to your gun was 120241. Congrats on this one, I found a Bettes Hardware, Paris shipped 41 at Tulsa back in November. There were 4 shipping locations known to have received BP Colts in Paris.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have also seen that name before, but I can't remember the source. There were several Stanhope families in Virginia and I guess a few of them migrated to Texas. I Googled that name with Paris TX and did not get any hits. The .32 Rifle Cartridge is 32-20 (32 WCF), but it seemed odd that it was written that way in the Colt Archive letter. There were not many Colt SAA's manufactured in 32 WCF before this time period. The gun even has the very small 32 cal stamped on the trigger guard.
Thanks. That make sense! I didnt realize how old the gun was. I dont think Ive seen one in 32-20 that early before. That is cool!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Where I grew up, Paris was the "big city" to go to ;) In old west times, it was a major railroad town. They have the worst weather of any place Ive ever seen. Storms seem to follow the Red River.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
A few weeks ago I posted pictures of a Colt SAA with SN 126389 that was in 32 caliber with a 4-3/4" barrel. I received the Colt Archive letter on it today. It is listed as a 32 Rifle Cartridge and was shipped to R. Stanhope in Paris, TX in August 1888.

View attachment 629491

View attachment 629493
I have seen that "32 Rifle Cartridge" designation used on an early shipment of the Colt M1878 DA also.

·
Premium Member
18,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have a 38WCF SAA that was sent to R Stanhope, Paris TX in 1890. I've posted the picture here along with as much info. as I could find about Stanhope.
He owned a gun shop in Paris TX, and a number of guns used in the Lincoln County War were purchased from him.
Mine has a SN that falls into the time frame of the conflict, but cannot find any verification it was used.
Nice find.
Your posting was where I saw the Stanhope name!! Thanks for all that information. I guess there is no way to know if
my SAA was used in the Lincoln County War (or was it the Johnson County War), but it did pass through the hands of the person who supplied some guns to that
cause.

·
Premium Member
18,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the movie "All the Pretty Horses" the character played by Lucas Black was carrying a .32-20 Colt SAA, and one of the other characters remarked that it was a "rifle cartridge".
Johnny, Thanks for that detail. I guess if someone had a Winchester M-73 in 32-20, having a revolver in the same caliber was convenient for buying and keeping a good supply for each gun.

·
Premium Member
18,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 21 Posts