Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Received my Colt letter on my OMM, Pictures added

Sorry no pictures, I don't have a digital camera. The gun is in pretty poor shape cosmetically, looks like someone left it in their toolbox in their trunk for a few years. Not much rust, but lots of little dings and scratches. Added pictures from the online auction I bought the gun from, forgot that I still had them on my computer. They aren't very good, but you can sorta see some of the dings etc. I purchased this gun on an online auction from a shop in New Jersey, so I guess the gun didn't travel far from it's original purchase until I bought it.

My gun does letter as having the "short action" from the factory. This was what Colt called their single-action only guns. The double-action sear wasn't just removed; the hammer wasn't setup to have the double action sear at all. I understand that gunsmiths could and did buy this as a parts set and install it. When you try and do a double-action trigger pull, the cylinder advances but the hammer only gives a little wiggle as the hammer block safety comes off. I am disappointed that they couldn't tell me what the factory stocks were, the letter just has "Type of Stocks : Not Listed". I bought the gun with Coltwood stocks, that I knew where incorrect. I have been trying to find out if this gun should have the full checkered walnut with silver medallion, or the second type with the checkering ending just under the medallion in a half moon shape. Since this is a 1961 gun, I think either could be correct, but I am just not sure when Colt did start using the second type stocks on the OMM's.
The revolver was shipped June 14, 1961 to Frederick Remington Jr at the Peerless Tube Company in Bloomfield NJ. A little research on the net shows that this company is still in business, making spray cans for everything from personal products to automotive paint. I'm pretty pleased with the shipping date, it's the day after I was born, so this revolver is going to be my birthday gun. I may have to get it sent back to Colt for a re-finish, or at least a tune-up and replacement of a couple of missing screws.

Edit: Okay, I missed the card that was included with the letter. Beverly wrote that the catalog for 1961 shows the OMM as having the second type stocks, with the checkering under the medallion. So I guess the second type Python stocks I have on the gun now aren't too far off.

·
Banned
689 Posts
ship

i dont guess the fredrick remington could be a decendant of the famous wester art painter??

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
As A1A says, FACTORY single-action-only OMMs are a rare. I would not refinish it. Get a set of silver medallion Type 2 target stocks and leave it alone.

To have unknowningly acquired a gun that was shipped on your birth date is REALLY a coincidence. That is some strong karma. If I sent you a dollar, would you by me a lottery ticket?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how strong the karma is, I can't seem to win at lottery at all.
I've been trying to get the proper stocks, but can't seem to win the auctions. An auction for first type stocks just finished on Ebay, the pictures only showed the fully checkered sides and weren't too good of a picture so they only went for $92, not sure if they were walnut or Trooper mystery wood. Another set, this time 2nd types, are up right now but start at $99. Not sure if i am going to try for this set or not, I'm unemployed right now, and don't have a lot of extra money.
As far as Frederick Remington Jr.; I found out that as of 2002 he was still alive and CEO of the Peerless Tube company; google found some SEC documents that identified him. I haven't found anything else on him, several genealogy pages list Remington families, but nothing from this century.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Just be patient. At a later date, when money is less of an object, there will always be a set you can buy at the going rate. In the meantime, the looking can be more fun than the having. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts