Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are pictures of a very fine looking SAA in the 351XXX range. It is 351957 and it has the Rocking Horse. I have three other SAA's in the 351XXX range and only one has the Rocking Horse. SN's 351712 & 351713 -- Only one has the Rocking Horse; SN 351980 does not have Rocking Horse. Strange!

DSCN3210.jpg DSCN3211.jpg DSCN3212.jpg DSCN3216.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are all of your Colt SAA's in the 351xxx range 7 1/2"? A group pic would be nice. The one your showing is outstanding.

No, not all of my 1st gen SAA's are in the 351XXX range; only four of them. I have posted pictures of the other three on the Forum before. If I get a chance, I will shoot a picture of all four together. In doing that, a lot of detail on each will be lost.

·
Premium Member
20,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never really paid much attention to the Rocking Horse phenomenon, so I was surprised when I saw the 'Rocker' on this one, but it was missing on two of the other three SAA's in the 351XXX SN range. I suspect it does not always show up in any particular SN range since the alignment of the 'roll die' probably varied from gun to gun.
I tried to find data on when the Rocking Horse showed up on SAA's. One source showed an SAA from 1913 (SN range 325000 to 328000) with that marking. My 351XXX SAA's were all from 1928.

·
Registered
487 Posts
We have a member that is/was running a data base on Rocking Horse serial numbers. He should be along in due course and will hopefully let us know if he has gleaned any info from his data.

·
Premium Member
20,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mswill, That member is 1988RRC. I communicated with him a few weeks ago on one of the 351XXX SAA's that did not have the Rocking Horse. Hopefully, he will notice this Thread. That is one reason I put "Rocking Horse" in the title.
I will look forward to communicating with him again!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I have never really paid much attention to the Rocking Horse phenomenon, so I was surprised when I saw the 'Rocker' on this one, but it was missing on two of the other three SAA's in the 351XXX SN range. I suspect it does not always show up in any particular SN range since the alignment of the 'roll die' probably varied from gun to gun.
I tried to find data on when the Rocking Horse showed up on SAA's. One source showed an SAA from 1913 (SN range 325000 to 328000) with that marking. My 351XXX SAA's were all from 1928.
That's a beautiful pre war you've acquired.

1. Full circled colt used 1890 – 1912.
Some times we hear the ‘rocking horse’ nickname confused and used for incompletely stamped or broken full circle die stamps when the existing arc of the circle is at the bottom. Of course these are not one of the actual 3 styles, and considered factory errors/mis-stamps.

2. The 30 degree arc circle on the bottom of the colt or 'top-of-the-world-colt', or 'rocking horse' are seen sporadically 1912 -1930's (Cochran/Kopec). They are likely full circle dies that were broken or worn and had the remaining circle ground off except the 30 degree section under the slice of the top of the world.

3. Cochran/Kopec lists the un-circled rampant colt Trademark used 1912 - 1940. Wilkerson lists it as beginning in 1920.

·
Registered
548 Posts
We have a member that is/was running a data base on Rocking Horse serial numbers. He should be along in due course and will hopefully let us know if he has gleaned any info from his data.
SaintClair, That is a very nice RH Colt!

I have been taking note of all of the 'Rocking Horse' Colt SAA's I run across since 2014 after a phone discussion with Jim Martin about that logo. I have been able to document serial numbers, dates and descriptions of over 75 examples; the earliest is #326782 from 1913 (.32-20, 7-1/2" that was reworked to .44-40, 5-1/2") and the latest being #353574 from 1931 (.44 special, 5-1/2"). Most are blue with CCH frames, Colt horse logo stocks and all types of barrel lengths and calibers. Most of these I see are made in the 1920's. Someone posted this link in another posting, it has a good number of the RH Colts if anyone wants to see more of them.... http://www.garyhendershott.net/pdf/c...talog-2017.pdf

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
An interesting sidebar:

Kopec discusses a few thousand Military Colts produced towards the end of martial production. A factory mistake where US frames were stamped with the circled Colt and the US stamp moved lower. These are righteous cavalry Colts that are often dismissed as fakes!
Knowledge is power and can translate to a really good deal on a military Colt!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts