Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member to this forum as I recently joined after purchasing a Python from my father-in-law. I have a few questions and request recommendations from the experts like yourselves.

It's a 1972 Python in Blue with the original (2nd generation?) grips.

As I examine the weapon I see the barrel and loader has some areas where the blueing has worn. There are also a few scuff marks on the right side grip, and underneath the left side grip. This is only cosmetic and I wonder if it's better to keep it all original, or have the weapon re-blued and the handle cosmetically repaired.

Not cosmetic...Also, on the inside of the right grip, where the lower pin from the gun handle secures into the grip...is worn. When I hold the Python and move it vertically (like recoil after a shot) there is movement in the right grip. After removing the grips I can see this is from the wear in the wood where the handle pin goes. Is this repairable?

I'm considering purchasing a grip to replace the original (worn) ones and just leaving the original one's alone as they are.

(Arghhh!, I'm trying to upload more pictures to indicate what I'm discussing and I get nothing but a red exclamation point!!!)

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations.

DSC02072.jpg DSC02075.jpg DSC02103.jpg

Attachments

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. When you "attach" images, there is a five image per post limit. First I would vote no on the reblue as it is not inexpensive and actually devalues a gun that has only slight honest wear as you describe. The stocks, however, appear to me to have possibly already been re-laquered over a few rather dishonest blemishes. They could be replaced, although correct original replacements have become quite pricey, or you might consider a quality refinish as done by forum member and fellow Texan swamprat(Hugh). Of course, they could also just be left as is. Just a suggestion. Others will have theirs. :cool:

Loose fit can often be addressed with a little epoxy: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/35729-colt-357-loose-grips.html.

·
Registered
892 Posts
My 2 cents worth....You have a 40 year old Rolls Royce of revolvers that has a few age marks. Leave it as it is. It will never be a NIB (new in the box) so keep it and cherish it as it is. What you have over a NIB is a Python you can shoot it and enjoy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The gun looks good to me! I would not have it reblued but find the grips somewhat objectionable, as they show some blems and seem to be not fitted very well at the lower rear strap.

But with prices of original Colt Python grips becoming so much more expensive than silver, I would also overlook this small issue.

To me, any gun was just built for one purpose: to be shot and your Python should excel at the intended purpose.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's a beauty and I would so leave it as is. I'm kind of grip nut so I would probley save my $ and buy a nice set of period correct Colt original grips for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I am inclined to just leave it as is. I think I will however pursue a different set of grips, and keep the originals from even more wear. When you say "a nice set of period correct Colt original grips" are you referring to a vintage set or a new reproduction?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks gents!

Thanks for all the great advise. I believe I'll leave it like it is in original condition. Your advise helped greatly....Thanks again.
Flying Brick

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can't claim to be an expert but I believe there are several generations of grip's for the Python and I would watch for a correct pair in nice condition. I personally would avoid the imported repro grips that are on the auction sites. That python is too nice for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts